Software to include with the M2?

General discussion topics
rpollack

Software to include with the M2?

Post by rpollack » Mon May 05, 2014 10:31 pm

Unfortunately the Simplify3D trial version has been cancelled so we can no longer include it. We can't ship machines without software so I am looking for recommendations for software that we can include with new machines - either open source or a proprietary trial version.

Thanks,
Rick

jsc

Re: Software to include with the M2?

Post by jsc » Mon May 05, 2014 10:43 pm

Mine didn't come with software! I didn't even know there was a Simplify3D trial version....

I think the most popular combination is Slic3r and Pronterface. I prefer Repetier-Host, which is also very popular. I would go with that, since you already have instructions for Slic3r, it is very widely used, and it is good enough. Although the latest version appears to have issues with thin walls, and the support generation has never been very good.

kosal850

Post by kosal850 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:51 pm

i second repetier host.. i was using this up until i recieved my m2 on other printers. For the M2 i chose to use simplify 3d because wanted to try something different and compare...

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Mon May 05, 2014 10:52 pm

For a while it was only included with the Amazon machines. Slic3r has unfortunately resulted in significant technical support requests. We need to include something simple to get started with...

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon May 05, 2014 11:03 pm

Well, Cura and KissSlicer are well thought of. Cura is a host as well, although I don't know if it will run an M2 directly. It is closely tied to Ultimaker. Kiss is supported by Repetier Host. I haven't used either of them as much as slic3r/Simplify3D, though.

Whatever you choose, you should host some known good profiles linked directly from your site. It was work getting Slic3r set up properly when I first started.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon May 05, 2014 11:47 pm

hmmm other than the ones mentioned i dont know if there are any others out there. it seems to be thats all there is to choose from. either you need to go back to the open source stuff or increase the price of the m2 a bit and just include the full s3d license with the printer. you can give the person ordering the option to opt out at a $140 discount i guess but then they would need to understand the software end would be on them.

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon May 05, 2014 11:50 pm

I don't understand how you're going to "include" the software. You're going to include a DVD or something? Is this an Amazon requirement?

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Tue May 06, 2014 12:35 am

on the sd-card

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue May 06, 2014 12:38 am

Sorry, I just checked and Kiss Slicer is not supported by Repetier Host. It was Skeinforge, which I believe is old and outdated.

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue May 06, 2014 12:50 am

Out of curiosity, what kind of support calls did Slic3r generate? Were they of the "this is too much stuff to figure out" sort? I think all the slicers will have that problem. If you're going to provide it on the SD card, a well-tuned configuration on the same card with instructions on how to import them would go a long way to solve that. Alongside the pre-sliced gcode files, a number of demo STL files and step by step instructions that go through the complete workflow to slice and print them yourself would be helpful.