VB3 temp offset/simplify3d.

General discussion topics
rgproduct.com

VB3 temp offset/simplify3d.

Post by rgproduct.com » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi

One of my M2 machines has the new head requiring the 20 degree temp increase to allow for sensor position.

Does simplify3D allow for this?

Currently I am putting 215 to 235 on for temp to approximate 195 to 215, it seems to be ok.

Anyone know please?

R

Dale Reed

Re: VB3 temp offset/simplify3d.

Post by Dale Reed » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:21 am

rgproduct,

That is exactly the right way to work with the V3B. You've got it.

The reason for the offset is not the type of thermistor --- it's the LOCATION. On the V3B hot end, the heater is in an aluminum block NEXT to the brass nozzle, and the thermistor is NOT taped to the brass nozzle (as in the V3), but stuck in the aluminum block. There is a temperature drop because the thermistor and heater are distant from the tip. 20 degrees C is a good approximation of the drop in temperature going from the heater and thermistor location, through the aluminum block, across to the brass nozzle body and down to the tip. So when the thermistor reads 215C, it's actually at 215C -- but the nozzle is not, and that's where the melty action happens! The nozzle is more like at 195, and your PLA extrudes as well as it did before.

Hope this explains it. As a chemical engineer by degree, I long ago forgot all those differential equations we used for conductive and convective heat transfer. But I can almost visualize the temperature gradient across all those materials.

So don't worry. You're doing EXACTLY what you need to do and your experience matches all of ours who have upgraded to the V3B.

Dale

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:22 am

Which leads me to wonder, has anyone bothered taping a thermistor to the nozzle and plotting the actual temperature difference across the full range of likely printing temperatures?

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:11 am

jin i have a digital temp meter and i have taped the probe on the nozzle to check and over our normal print temp its an average of 20 deg. it goes up and down a few deg depending the temp but noting worth mentioning. i should noth that the temp readings with the v3b are the same as my e3d so i would assume that the 20 deg difference is the normal temps we are seeing on most modern 3d printer since most use a block type hear with a cartridge. so instead of 220 for abs being the norm like with the v3 we really just need to start considering 240-245 being the norm. its not that its reading incorrectly or things are wrong. the v3b temps are fine.....just different then what v3 owners are used to. values and settings dont always convert over be it hardware or software.

rgproduct.com

Post by rgproduct.com » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks all. I had sort of assumed S3D would have the offset built in as it has a profile specific to M2?

R

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:40 am

rgproduct,

The temperature settings are so specific to the filament AND the printer (and the PIGMENT in the filament and the specific composition of the raw plastic used to make the filament and even how the filament is stored) that it's not really something they put in the profile for the printer.

But maybe jump on the S3D forum and suggest an enhancement -- add a temperature offset, so if I know my filament wants THIS temperature, here's how you adjust to print at THAT temperature (THIS temperature plus THAT offset) on THAT printer, and here's how you adjust to print at SUCH AND SUCH temperature (THIS temperature plus SUCH AND SUCH offset) on SUCH AND SUCH printer.

Right now, the profiles don't do a real good job of separating the attributes of the PRINTER from the attributes of the FILAMENT. The S3D FFF file is a bit of a mish-mosh of both. And I don't know that anyone has given enough thought to exactly how to split them...

Dale