Kit vs assembled

General discussion topics
sprior

Re: Kit vs assembled

Post by sprior » Thu May 08, 2014 5:55 pm

People that bring their printers to demos often seem to appreciate the LCD. I don't have the LCD. In my case where the printer is in the basement I used a Raspberry Pi running OctoPi to control the printer and provide a browser interface to control it, so I go downstairs and turn on the printer (the Pi stays on all the time) then go upstairs and prepare the print on my laptop and then upload the gcode via a browser interface and start the print. A webcam plugged into the Pi lets me watch the print and captures a timelapse video of the print. When the print is done the Pi sends me an email with a completed picture and automatically uploads the video to YouTube. I have an old laptop sitting next to the printer which I only use to manually control the printer to change filaments or make adjustments, but sometimes I just use the browser on my smartphone instead. Yes, I'm a geek.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Thu May 08, 2014 6:32 pm

We really only recommend the kit for people who really, really want to put their machine together. For those individuals it is typically a fun, straight-forward process. When people buy kits to get the cost down, that can go south pretty quickly...

Personally, I do not use an LCD controller and prefer to start prints from a PC and then just disconnect.

Rick

Toby

Post by Toby » Thu May 08, 2014 6:59 pm

imsmooth wrote:So I don't need the LCD screen. If I got it right, I power up the m2, load the file by USB
And once started I can disconnect from the computer.
Basically, except usually people don't load the file via the usb since it's a slow connection. What you can do instead is physically remove the sd from the M2, plug it in you pc, copy the file, and then put the sd back in the M2. You need the USB connection to start the print at that point, but then you can disconnect.

It's a minor annoyance, but I've worked it into my routine so that it's no longer an issue.
sprior wrote: If you're buying any 3D printer these days you're a "maker" - that means you should be willing to fiddle a bit with things. Building the printer as a kit gets you started in that direction.
That's probably true in general but my experience as someone who isn't into the hardware is that the M2 has gone beyond it's roots in the reprap community. I would liken it more to a high end SLR camera where you have to learn how to operate and troubleshoot it but after that it just works.

imsmooth

Post by imsmooth » Thu May 08, 2014 8:25 pm

rpollack wrote:We really only recommend the kit for people who really, really want to put their machine together. For those individuals it is typically a fun, straight-forward process. When people buy kits to get the cost down, that can go south pretty quickly...

Rick
I wouldn't be doing the kit to save money. I like understanding how things work so I am more familiar with repairing issues.
As you can see from one of my previous builds, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HdbKKvOiWU or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaViMXLPkbA, I am not a stranger to projects. The latter project is why I am planning on getting a printer.

I probably won't get the LCD, but what can I do with it? Would the routine basically be:
Copy G-code to SD card. Insert card. Initialize and calibrate printer with LCD control options? In other words, I won't need a computer to start it up, right?

I should also ask that when I place my order, are there an "extras" I should get up front other than the Simplify 3d software?

sprior

Post by sprior » Thu May 08, 2014 8:33 pm

Maybe some other colors of filament besides the standard included black PLA.

jbarnhardt

Post by jbarnhardt » Thu May 08, 2014 9:46 pm

imsmooth wrote:I probably won't get the LCD, but what can I do with it? Would the routine basically be:
Copy G-code to SD card. Insert card. Initialize and calibrate printer with LCD control options? In other words, I won't need a computer to start it up, right?

I should also ask that when I place my order, are there an "extras" I should get up front other than the Simplify 3d software?
That is correct - you eliminate the need for a computer at all to initiate prints, pre-heat, jog things around, etc. Having said that, it is likely a little easier to do it from the computer, but having the LCD gives you the PC-less option, and you can always plug in your computer if you want the richer interface. I purchased an M2 kit plus the Viki and received them about 6 weeks ago. Assembly was straightforward and took maybe 5 hours spread over a couple of days. I actually haven't hooked up the Viki yet as it's been a low priority, but plan to do so soon. As noted previously there are a few firmware hoops you need to jump through to get the Viki working and some recent users have had difficulties getting all LCD functions working properly.

The suggestion to get some additional filament with your order is a good one - you'll save on shipping costs most likely, and you will almost certainly want some more colors or plastic types quickly. Pick up at least one spool of ABS so that you can print out spare/replacement hot end mounts. When I ordered my M2 I had them include an extra hot end so that I would have a spare and could swap them out if I decide I want to use different hot ends for different plastics. So far I've just used the original hot end.

If you like assembling things, this is a great kit. If you want to just get printing ASAP, order the pre-assembled version. If you do go with the kit, Will Newton started a great forum that lists almost every idiosyncrasy/omission in the build instructions. His list is literally identical to the one I came up with when assembling my machine. You would be very well served to read that thread before embarking on assembly. Best of luck in your decision! It's a great machine, kit or pre-built.

-John

Toby

Post by Toby » Fri May 09, 2014 1:32 am

The question of what else to get while waiting for an M2 came up in this thread on the old google group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... iS7kTESfsJ

Many suggestions and additional points there.

imsmooth

Post by imsmooth » Sun May 11, 2014 1:51 am

Does it matter if I get simplify 3d here or directly on their website?

Am I allowed to install it onto my iMac and a portable laptop PC with one license?

sprior

Post by sprior » Sun May 11, 2014 2:21 am

The copy protection on S3D allows you to install it on 2 computers at a time. You can uninstall it from one machine and put it on another, but doing so is annoying enough that you won't be doing that routinely.

imsmooth

Post by imsmooth » Mon May 12, 2014 3:10 pm

just made the purchase.

You guys will hear from me once I assemble the unit and run into any issues.

Thanks for all your help.