Printing with my new spool holder.

General discussion topics
markb

Re: Printing with my new spool holder.

Post by markb » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:38 pm

Do not put the lube on it at all. I sanded the base down as they suggested. It actually spins too freely. The vibration from the printer can make the spool spin some on its own. This is not what you want. I tightened mine up some to make some friction so it will not spin so freely.
I was thinking the same thing as you but it is the opposite.

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:09 pm

markb wrote:Do not put the lube on it at all. I sanded the base down as they suggested. It actually spins too freely. The vibration from the printer can make the spool spin some on its own. This is not what you want. I tightened mine up some to make some friction so it will not spin so freely.
Thanks Mark, will do. Also regarding the supports. It printed great without them! The only exception was that very thin support on the hanging bracket. It ended up breaking, but the extrusion from the bracket ended up printing pretty well anyway. Just have to remove a few burrs from the lower end of it. I think it broke since I was using sequential printing. It printed half of it then it went to work on the other piece, when it came back to it was when it broke.

I'm probably going to try to design a new mounting bracket, similar to what is on the M2 originally, to give it a more permanent home by bolting it down. Even though this one looks like its pretty sturdy as is.
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

markb

Post by markb » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Yes I agree a nice M2 base would be nice.

I tightened it up some the other night to generate some resistance. I printed with it today and it was just night resistance it is working really well now.

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:21 am

markb wrote:Yes I agree a nice M2 base would be nice.
I re-did both pieces, they are printing now. If they turn out ok I'll put them up in case you guys want to use them. I made the spool holder more solid I think, felt kind of hollow to me and I was able to snap the original pretty easy. Couldn't help myself had to do the snap test. :) The weight of the reel probably wouldn't have broken it though.

I'm printing both at 90% infill, .2mm layer height, 4 layers on top,bottom and sides, ABS. Hopefully won't ever need to change it if I got the dimensions right that is.
jdacal

markb

Post by markb » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:23 am

jdacal wrote:
markb wrote:Do not put the lube on it at all. I sanded the base down as they suggested. It actually spins too freely. The vibration from the printer can make the spool spin some on its own. This is not what you want. I tightened mine up some to make some friction so it will not spin so freely.
I'm probably going to try to design a new mounting bracket, similar to what is on the M2 originally, to give it a more permanent home by bolting it down. Even though this one looks like its pretty sturdy as is.
I see your new base printing are you going to post it to thingiverse as a remix?

we posted at the same time.
Last edited by markb on Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:25 am

Yep. If all my dimensions work out, have my fingers crossed.
jdacal

markb

Post by markb » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:29 am

Mine has support so I think it will be ok. But I will reprint the base if yours works out.
Thanks for taking it on modifying it for a M2

markb

Post by markb » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:29 pm

Ok the bad thing about that camera is I can see that the print is done but can’t see how it turned out. :)
How did the print turn out?

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:32 pm

an idle printer is an unhappy printer :D

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:40 pm

markb wrote:Ok the bad thing about that camera is I can see that the print is done but can’t see how it turned out. :)
How did the print turn out?
LOL! Yeah I hate that too. Will have to figure something out with the Raspberry Pi so you guys can turn the light on through the internet. ;) Maybe put a 1 minute timeout on it or something since I know you guys will leave the light on. :lol:

Its not ready for prime time yet. I got the four holes on the mount spot-on as far as the placement, but need to enlarge them a little and want the large bolt hole to be really snug so that the bolt doesn't sag down when the weight of the reel is placed on it.

Also want to make some changes to the spool holder, I'm thinking of only putting two rows of holes for the filament clips instead of four, what do you think? Also will try to rework the spool holder so that the extrusion from the mount fits into a cavity in it. The purpose being to bring the whole thing closer to the frame of the M2 so that it doesn't extend out as far. The bolt I ordered won't arrive until tomorrow, I want to have it here before proceeding so I can use it for measurements. It should probably be ready to go by this weekend if not sooner. I'll post as soon as I print a fully working copy.

EDIT: Here's what I'm trying to do with it, let me know any suggestions:
2014-10-28_23-09-06.jpg
2014-10-28_23-09-06.jpg (24.91 KiB) Viewed 11237 times
2014-10-28_23-07-25.jpg
2014-10-28_23-07-25.jpg (27.58 KiB) Viewed 11237 times
2014-10-28_23-06-47.jpg
2014-10-28_23-06-47.jpg (31.64 KiB) Viewed 11237 times
jdacal