Networking

General discussion topics
sprior

Re: Networking

Post by sprior » Tue May 13, 2014 3:19 pm

OctoPi is a distribution of Rasparian with OctoPrint already installed. Use as is for starters, then get a little advanced and switch to using a git installed OctoPrint so you can get updates (or possibly switch to the devel branch).

Flash OctoPi to your SD card, plug into Raspberry Pi, plug in USB printer, wired ethernet and optionally camera, boot. Point your browser to the assigned IP address, some minor configuration and you'll be printing in minutes not hours.

markb

Post by markb » Sat May 17, 2014 5:21 am

sprior wrote:OctoPi is a distribution of Rasparian with OctoPrint already installed. Use as is for starters, then get a little advanced and switch to using a git installed OctoPrint so you can get updates (or possibly switch to the devel branch).

Flash OctoPi to your SD card, plug into Raspberry Pi, plug in USB printer, wired ethernet and optionally camera, boot. Point your browser to the assigned IP address, some minor configuration and you'll be printing in minutes not hours.
My Raspberry Pi came in today and thanks to for the good advice. It is up and running this is a nice solution. I got the Wi-Fi working then the printer is too far from the router. I will have to run hard wire later it is just running under the door for now.. I need to get a powered hub to try the camera out. I will probably get a second Raspberry Pi and use it for open VPN so I can check on prints across the net.

sprior

Post by sprior » Sat May 17, 2014 5:28 am

Glad you got it working so easily. There was just a thread about using some service to securely access OctoPrint without any port forwarding here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 0l2UvD3fLQ

I haven't tried that.

markb

Post by markb » Sun May 18, 2014 4:08 am

I have my webcam working on it now. It shows video on android. Windows 7 it only shows video on Chrome not Internet explorer? On IE I just get an X where the video feed should be. Any idea if it should work with IE?
I ordered some LED’s to go on the printer but they are not here yet.

I am printing a webcam holder right now. This is so cool
what do you have in the your Controls" tab ?
Attachments
OctoPrint.JPG
OctoPrint.JPG (90.13 KiB) Viewed 11128 times

sprior

Post by sprior » Sun May 18, 2014 4:36 am

I added "Get Position" to my controls, but don't use it as much as I thought I would, probably because with the camera working I can just see it.

I just checked and have the same issue with IE on Win 8.1, but I'm a Firefox guy followed by Chrome so I have no idea why. One thing I'll forwarn you about is later when you get into timelapses I found that Windows Media Player does not play the resulting video file and when I asked about this on OctoPrint they just told me my video player (Windows Media Player) is broken. I didn't find that totally satisfactory, but installed VLC and it plays them fine.

I'm not sure a camera mount hanging off the M2 itself is going to be the best. I've found that I like the camera in front of and to the right side of the printer and back enough to see the full bed when it's at the bottom. The right side allows me to see the filament extrude off the right side of the bed when its being primed at the begin of a print so I see things are going well. It also gets the filament spool in the frame so I can see the label on the spool going around in the timelapse - somehow that feels useful. Currently I've got the webcam on a big floor sitting tripod in front of the table the M2 is on. When I build a custom cabinet for the M2 I'll make some arrangement for a camera stand built into it.

At the moment I'm printing an extended spool holder which is also a little narrower - glow in the dark ABS and Talman bridge nylon came in the mail yesterday.

markb

Post by markb » Sun May 18, 2014 6:32 pm

sprior wrote:I added "Get Position" to my controls, but don't use it as much as I thought I would, probably because with the camera working I can just see it.

I just checked and have the same issue with IE on Win 8.1, but I'm a Firefox guy followed by Chrome so I have no idea why. One thing I'll forwarn you about is later when you get into timelapses I found that Windows Media Player does not play the resulting video file and when I asked about this on OctoPrint they just told me my video player (Windows Media Player) is broken. I didn't find that totally satisfactory, but installed VLC and it plays them fine.

I'm not sure a camera mount hanging off the M2 itself is going to be the best. I've found that I like the camera in front of and to the right side of the printer and back enough to see the full bed when it's at the bottom. The right side allows me to see the filament extrude off the right side of the bed when its being primed at the begin of a print so I see things are going well. It also gets the filament spool in the frame so I can see the label on the spool going around in the timelapse - somehow that feels useful. Currently I've got the webcam on a big floor sitting tripod in front of the table the M2 is on. When I build a custom cabinet for the M2 I'll make some arrangement for a camera stand built into it.

At the moment I'm printing an extended spool holder which is also a little narrower - glow in the dark ABS and Talman bridge nylon came in the mail yesterday.
When you do your timelapses do you do it on Z stop or time?

sprior

Post by sprior » Sun May 18, 2014 7:09 pm

On Z change. Because of the Y motion of the bed you're not going to get a video of a smoothly growing object unless you configured the print head to go to a specific spot on Z change and that would slow down the print a lot, but it's still interesting.

sprior

Post by sprior » Sun May 18, 2014 7:16 pm

Eventually you'll probably want to use the Raspberry Pi to switch power to the M2 and leave the Pi powered on all the time. When you do that you should allow for switching a light as well for the camera to see with.

markb

Post by markb » Mon May 19, 2014 3:14 am

I wanted to setup email so it could email me a snapshot of what I just printed like your setup.
I was following this (That you pointed me to) and I am running OctoPi
https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wik ... Eventhooks
I have the email all setup. I tested it on the command line and it works I got the test email.

But now I need to put the code in the config.yaml so it will get that event and send me the email.
I just fount it I reread your comments and I tried cd .octoprint there it is. but if I do a LS it does not show .octoprint as being a folder?

The time laps is pretty cool on my Android phone I installed MX Player and it can play the video fine.

sprior

Post by sprior » Mon May 19, 2014 3:43 am

files and directories that begine with a . in Unix like operating systems are considered to be hidden. The ls -a command would have shown it.