Networking

General discussion topics
sprior

Re: Networking

Post by sprior » Mon May 19, 2014 3:56 pm

Since you've got a working setup before you do this I'd do a clean shutdown of the Pi and then snap an image of the SD card (I use Win32DiskImager) so you've got a backup.

If you already used git to do your install you should be all set, if not post back and I'll give more info.

Follow the short instructions here https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wik ... g-Raspbian in the section entitled "Updating" and use branch name "devel".

markb

Post by markb » Mon May 19, 2014 5:39 pm

I did make a backup image. It is always good to be able to get back to a good point.
I just installed this image 2014-01-07-wheezy-octopi-0.8.0.img to get it all working.

I might just leave well enough alone it is all working just the way I want except the one thing not too bad.

I did try to add sending a email on the event CaptureDone but that never seemed to trigger.

sprior

Post by sprior » Mon May 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Now that you know that feature is out there and you want it, you're going to do it eventually, might as well just give in and do it.

markb

Post by markb » Mon May 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Ok you got me I want it now. ;) I just figured you have given me enough tech support that I should not ask for more.
If you don’t mind I will give it a shot the worst that could happen is I go back to the image I have now.
I even have a second SD card so I don’t even need to mess with my current setup.

sprior

Post by sprior » Mon May 19, 2014 6:03 pm

I've received some pretty amazing help from others in this group and while I'm still new to 3D printing when it comes to Linux I've got this. Here's a picture of my "personal computer" in the house - it's actually 3 virtualization servers running Linux hosting a bunch of virtual machines running Linux (and one running Windows Home Server for desktop backups). And I built the cabinet under the rack and added the wood sides.
Attachments
IMG_1837.JPG
IMG_1837.JPG (340.15 KiB) Viewed 11907 times

markb

Post by markb » Tue May 20, 2014 12:10 am

sprior wrote:Glad you got past this. The devel branch of OctoPrint has an option that lets you add a still shot at the end of the timelapse - makes it more satisfying.

Note that moving to the devel branch requires you to change your event config because the placeholder variables changed.
Nice server!
I have the devel branch version installed and I changed the placeholder variables . What is the option that lets you add a still shot at the end of the timelapse?
I can’t find this anywhere.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue May 20, 2014 2:07 am

haha i though computers were getting smaller :lol:

sprior

Post by sprior » Tue May 20, 2014 2:25 am

Click on the timelapse tab at the top, the option is called "Timelapse post roll" - you fill in how many seconds of post roll it should add. You probably also want to use "on Z change" and check the "make this the default" box.

If the new option doesn't appear right away make sure you've restarted OctoPrint and you might also have to hit the refresh button on your browser.

sprior

Post by sprior » Tue May 20, 2014 2:32 am

jimc - you should see the pile of machines this thing replaces. The middle section is all empty for future expansion. The bottom 3 machines can conservatively run about 20 virtual servers. All those VMs are stored on the NAS right above them so I can suspend a virtual machine running on one physical server then in a matter of moments start it up on a different machine and it doesn't know the difference. It's great when I need to shut down a machine for maintenance because I just move everything off of it, do what's needed, then move everything back. Up top is a router I built that runs the pfSense distribution and is very flexible.

My new server philosophy is that everything that just needs compute power runs on a virtual machine. Everything that needs a physical connection to a device runs on a Raspberry Pi or something similar.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue May 20, 2014 2:53 am

huh, you think that might be just a tad overkill for a personal home computer lol. definitely a cool setup. i am no one to talk believe me. im just as bad when it comes to my home audio setup. of course that will dim the lights in the house when i crank that.