Buying the M2: Help me start out right

General discussion topics
jeffpowell101

Buying the M2: Help me start out right

Post by jeffpowell101 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:25 am

Hey guys.

Considering buying the M2 after looking at a lot of similarly priced printers. Is this a smart move?

If I buy the printer, what should I do to assure the best quality and longevity of the machine? Set-up, extruders, LED screen, encasement, temperature, etc.

Thanks

insta

Re: Buying the M2: Help me start out right

Post by insta » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:51 am

No the M2 is terrible and it only won first place on the 3D Hubs guide because Rick paid them off :lol:

Seriously though, we all love our machines (except that dude from the Ukraine but he's a fluke IMO). I'm trying to buy a second one.

As for longevity? Zip-tie the bed power to the right-rear arm of the bed support spider, and keep the machine lubricated. Print backup parts for yourself out of 100% infill ABS. Buy a backup hotend (whole hotend).

Use good quality plastic in it, from trusted vendors. The MG plastic is good, and I personally have had great success with anything from Village Plastics (Ultimachine is a reseller, as is MG). Check out eSUN as well, they're friends of the forum (intservo on amazon).

I personally print with the LCD. I like that workflow better -- my printers are on the other side of the room from my computer. Some people don't, and that's fine.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:09 am

i have to agree with insta. you cant really go wrong with it. its a printer that just works. the quality is fantastic, the company your dealing with and support is fantastic. for even twice the money i dont think you will find a printer as good. it doesnt have the great feedback and satisfaction rating for nothing. i am not running the lcd. some people have it, most dont. its just what you prefer. it isnt necessary though unless you want to run the printer completely independent of the computer.

jeffpowell101

Post by jeffpowell101 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks guys.

Do you use glue to assure prints stick? How routine of maintenance do you do?

benavery

Post by benavery » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:53 pm

Yes, you need to use something to make the prints stick. Glue stick, hairspray, kapton tape, abs slurry, or even some specialized build surfaces you can buy. Everyone has their favourite. Kapton tape is included with the printer, and the rest are easy to make/buy from stuff from local stores. There are plenty of discussions on the forum about what people like/dislike

You need to grease the z-axis, and lube the rails periodically (but not super often). Otherwise very little maintenance required.

insta

Post by insta » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:57 pm

Normal PLA parts get a misting of hairspray on the glass, reapplied when I get my greasy fingerprints all over it. I wash it down to bare glass using hot water and dish soap, then dry and hairspray it. This treatment usually lasts 15 prints or so and is really simple to reapply.

I use a carefully calibrated PVA mixture (aka a small bottle of elmers emptied into a soda bottle then filled with filtered water and shaken until mixed) on the bed of my printer for problematic PLA parts. I pour a little puddle in the middle while the bed is heating, and wipe it around with a paper towel until it stops steaming (try to do this at 40C or so).

I never print hotter than 65C bed for PLA regardless of treatment method.

As for maintenance, really just lube the machine. The Y axis is a bit harder to lube because of the bed spider. I squirt a little bit of this grease I got with my Ultimaker against the rails and run the carriage back and forth against it until it feels smooth again, then ignore it for awhile until I think about it again. The machine really just puts up with shit and keeps on going...
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jeffpowell101

Post by jeffpowell101 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks guys.

Insta, would you reccomend the ultimaker (assuming you have the 2) or the M2?
Also been looking at the TAZ4

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Jeff - this is the MakerGear forum and I would appreciate if you would limit your discussion to whether or not the M2 will meet your needs.
---
Please do not bash other companies.

Thanks,
Rick

jeffpowell101

Post by jeffpowell101 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:44 pm

My mistake! Just want to make the right purchase but I think the M2 is it

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:55 pm

actually jeff its my fault. i posted some info that was passed on by an old member without thinking and rick was kinda right and had to remove the post. no need to get negative on the other companies. in any case, you really cant go wrong with the m2. its a fantastic machine, great build quality and a great community.