Dual Extrusion

General discussion topics
jeffpowell101

Dual Extrusion

Post by jeffpowell101 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:40 am

Hey guys,

Can someone share their experience with dual extrusion on the M2? Would like to get to this eventually. How easy is it to swap hot ends? Could I go ahead and buy the dual extrusion hot end and install it in my M2 when it arrives in january?

jsc

Re: Dual Extrusion

Post by jsc » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:55 am

I did some experimenting with dual extrusion when I first got the beta upgrade kit. I haven't been playing with it lately. It is a bit of a hassle to do, there are extra workflow steps and for best results you should use Cura. The models are all somewhat gimmicky, too. The best argument for dual extrusion is not multi (read bi) color, but for different capabilities, such as a big nozzle for infill and support, or different materials for dissolvable support, etc.

The v4 extruder that comes with the kit is great. Solidly mounted in an aluminum block, with a physical heat break to get a short melt zone. Easy to disassemble, easy to swap if you need to. Just some screws and switching wires.

The beta kit assembly was straightforward if a bit finicky. The wiring is all routed through a printed block, and the channels are very tight. I don't know what changes they've made since the beta. It was easy in that all I had to do was follow instructions. It was hard in that part of the instructions seemed to require atoms to pass through other atoms, but I got it all crammed in in the end.

jeffpowell101

Post by jeffpowell101 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:58 am

Does the V4 or V3b come with the M2?

Yeah printing with different materials opens the doors for a lot, though it does present a few small problems. It would be nice to see multi-extruders that mix in benefits of the single-nozzle dual extrusion (cyclops) with multi-nozzle extrusion (for different materials).

I have experience with dual extrusion via a makerbot. I'd be happy to be a beta tester for makergear's dual nozzles if they need it.
Last edited by jeffpowell101 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:15 am

MakerGear!

The stock M2 comes with the v3b.

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:27 pm

Im on the same quest for dual extrusion with multi materials as you, this opens up so many more options and in my opinion this will be one of the capabilities to really make this technology stand out.
I posted a small multi-material test with files here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1745&start=20