Anybody willing to do a 2-part print, rigid & ninjaflex?

General discussion topics
hybridprinter

Anybody willing to do a 2-part print, rigid & ninjaflex?

Post by hybridprinter » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:00 pm

Wondering if anybody is up for trying a 2 part print. One piece needs to be rigid (ABS or PETG) and the other piece needs to be NinjaFlex. The parts assemble together.

Would be helpful to evaluate the output capabilities of the MakerGear M2 machine.

Thank you!

Tim

Re: Anybody willing to do a 2-part print, rigid & ninjaflex?

Post by Tim » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:32 am

I would, but I don't have any NinjaFlex, just this stuff called "PolyFlex" from PolyMakr, which I've been wanting to experiment with in hybrid printing, but have been too busy with other things to get to it. I gather from what others have said that there isn't any other filament out there quite as stretchy as NinjaFlex.

insta

Post by insta » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:24 am

NinjaFlex is an entirely new beast I'm not used to. Do NOT print it against a Kapton base, it will not come off. It works without modification in the v4 PTFE ends, just don't do what I did and try and use it to clear a baked-in PVA plug. PVA hardens into one of the toughest clogs you can get and it was like trying to play pool with a rope.

hybridprinter really wants somebody to do this print for him :p I tried but messed a few things up, and then broke my M2 (well the cheap eBay power supply I used for 24v), and now I'm going out of town so I can't get back to it until after the new year. It was working "well enough", and I'd probably have it dialed in by the 3rd attempt.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:35 am

Thanks ista.. We tried it on a Replicator 2x and the NinjaFlex part just turned into a stingy gobbled mess. Im beginning to realize maybe this material is too soft for extrusion, maybe the company did also.. they now have another material called SemiFlex
http://www.ninjaflex3d.com/products/nin ... filaments/

insta

Post by insta » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:32 am

Eh, it's a nut that needs to be cracked. I think you're just about 4 months too early. I kind of want to try printing a set of bat wings with it, using ABS as a skeleton. I'm not actually going to because I am a lazy SOB, but I want to...

msmollin

Post by msmollin » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:16 am

I certainly wouldn't call you "early" seeing as there are fairly complex models calling for ninjaflex that were printed close to a year ago - http://www.myminifactory.com/object/thu ... stiny-3108 is on my list of things to start working on soonish, and there are a bunch of parts there that call for ninjaflex.

insta

Post by insta » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:26 pm

Sure, but they aren't dual-extruder prints using NinjaFlex. I'm just saying it's not something we do routinely (vs. printing owls in PLA) so getting clear answers as to feasibility and performance is still relatively unknown.