First experiment ABS/Ninjaflex dual print

General discussion topics
sprior

First experiment ABS/Ninjaflex dual print

Post by sprior » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:29 pm

I've asked the questions and seen others ask it as well, but haven't ever seen anyone admit they they had tried a dual extrusion print with ABS and Ninjaflex to see how well they fuse. So I finally got around to trying it myself and here's a picture:
2014-12-30 17.15.11.jpg
(3.23 MiB) Downloaded 823 times
The bond between the Ninjaflex and the ABS seems quite good. The main problem I had was that the Ninjaflex had oozed out of the right hot end by the time it was called for so the initial outline of the D didn't have any filament to print with, but by the time it got to the infill it was printing fine. I printed the ABS with the default S3D ABS settings for a V4 extruder except that I bumped the temp to 245C. For the Ninjaflex I started with the ABS settings, bumped the temp to 245C and changed the print speed to 12000mm/sec. I printed with a skirt set very high to try to create an ooze shield - that seems to have worked, but I could still use a wipe tower.

I think that there are some very cool possibilities with a dual ABS/Ninjaflex print.

jsc

Re: First experiment ABS/Ninjaflex dual print

Post by jsc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:14 am

Nice. That's a layer to layer bond; I wonder how well a wall to wall bond would be. Could you print a flexing hinge, for example?

sprior

Post by sprior » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:17 am

It's on my list to try, at the moment I'm printing the "space wrench" which is well designed to not need support.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:19 am

steve, have you tried solvent bonding ninjaflex to abs using acetone or another solvent?

sprior

Post by sprior » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:22 am

No, just dual extrusion. Another thing I did just try is whether Ninjaflex dissolves in Limonene - it doesn't. So at some point I'll try using HIPS as dissolving support for a Ninjaflex print.

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:49 pm

will Ninjaflex dissolve in Acetone like ABS does? or does Ninjaflex have no reaction to acetone?

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:53 pm

just tested it. it does not dissolve it at all. it would probably soften it if submerged for an extended period but to squirt this ninjaflex part down with acetone had no effect at all.

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:18 am

Interesting, wonder if its resistant to all solvents.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:53 am

i have about every solvent imaginable in my shop so short of testing each one i can say that as a general rule of thumb if something is resistant to acetone it will be resistant to most common solvents. some of the more nasty ones like methylene chloride which usually melts or attacks everything would probably have an effect on it. i have a feeling though that ninjaflex would not melt the way abs melts. it would probably swell and separate if left to soak in it for long periods. possibly even breaking down into a chunky mess. rubbers tend to do that. acetone may have the same effect. i squirt some on it and it really did nothing to the stuff but if i put it in a container overnight i would bet that the ninjaflex part would have doubled in size by the morning. lol

sprior

Post by sprior » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:12 am

I've now got small pieces of NinjaFlex in a jar with acetone and another with alcohol. Will see what happens by tomorrow.