Project phone screen onto ceiling..?

General discussion topics
hybridprinter

Project phone screen onto ceiling..?

Post by hybridprinter » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:07 am

Anybody know of a device (maybe 3d printed) that can project a small lcd screen like a phone or video monitor (like a baby monitor) onto the ceiling in a dark room?

benavery

Re: Project phone screen onto ceiling..?

Post by benavery » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:30 am

No small LCD won't have enough power to directly shine onto the wall with - ie they don't produce enough light - even if you could find/buy/build the required optics.
At my work they have special webcams designed for pointing at cell phones (though I think the webcam part is just a logitech webcam, but on a pivot arm to easily position it over a phone, and a big shroud to prevent reflections off the screen). These then need to be hooked up to a computer, which is hooked up to a real projector.

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:57 pm

Does anybody make a small projector with built in camera?

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:25 pm

I would recommend a projector connected to an apple airplay (for iphone) or similar device.

Our classrooms all have Airplays in them so if I need a quick video I just use my iPhone. works pretty well.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Ben, what are you trying to do?

I think Matt's idea is good, but it can be pricey. You can get a pico projector for $300, then you will need an iPhone and an Apple TV, or Chromecast (and then figure out a way to send live video to it, possibly through Twitch or Youtube).