Two printers, one computer?

General discussion topics
sthone

Two printers, one computer?

Post by sthone » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:15 pm

I know a couple of you have two M2's, can you run both printers off one computer at the same time?

If so do you just print from SD cards and just pull the USB plugs or can you run multiple instances of say S3D and connect to each printer individually?

-Steve

insta

Re: Two printers, one computer?

Post by insta » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:57 pm

You can run multiple printers from one computer just fine, the COM ports are unique per Arduino. What's left is a software problem: whether or not S3D lets you run multiple instances is up to S3D, but software such as Repetier-Host will, although it can clobber itself with the outputted GCode from the slicers (regardless of what instance slices the model, it always saves to composition.gcode, which will crash or overwrite the other one if two are running).

Octoprint might be a better fit :)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

benavery

Post by benavery » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:37 pm

Octoprint, and glue stick. The answers to 90% of 3d printing problems :-D!
There is even a brand new RaspberryPi that just launched (though it having availability issues). I'm not clear if there is any real advantage when just running OctoPi. Though perhaps it means you will be able to pick up V1 ModelB+'s dirt cheap now.

thecadman99

Post by thecadman99 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:47 pm

I run two M2's from one machine all the time. You can run two instances of Simplify, and select a different com port for each control panel.
You can also run pronterface if you just want to print from SD card.
If you are printing via USB, you may need a machine with a lot of oomph- Two instances of Simplify, with several models each can quickly eat up resources and they don't seem to release without a reboot.

You can also use one cable, connect to a printer, send from SD card, then disconnect the USB, it will finish the print and you can connect to a different machine and do the same.
Good luck!

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks guys this makes my decision on buying another one easier. I just want to try out my V4 first to know if I need another one of those too before ordering. :D

-Steve

insta

Post by insta » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:00 am

I did the same thing you did ... bought a used M2 from MG directly ("used" wasn't the word I'd use -- there literally wasn't even a fingerprint on it). I wanted the V3B hotend since I had spares. When I break them all I'll change it to a V4.

It's my primary PLA machine.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:10 pm

I've been looking into this Octoprint setup which looks like a fun thing to play with regardless but...

...to run two printers I'm guessing I would have to run one printer from the Octoprint and then the other one from my laptop the same way I am now does that sound right?

I did see where you can try running two instances of Octoprint but would that just be the same as running two S3D's and would I still need a faster computer? Or does that mean I need two Rassberry pi setups?

So many questions still... :D

-Steve

benavery

Post by benavery » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:31 pm

Octoprint is just control software, that happens to have a web interface. Where it really shines, and what most of us typically mean when we talk about Octoprint, is running it from a raspberry pi. Running it on on your laptop, or some other standalone computer has limited merit - its probably easier to just use pronterface. Also its highly doubtful you can run 2 instances of octoprint on the same rpi. You can get a single rpi for controlling one printer, and control the other with your laptop. Or even get two rpi's, and run octoprint on each. Then you don't need your laptop connected to any printer.

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:19 pm

The laptop I'm using is old and pretty much dedicated to the printer so it no loss if it's tired up printing but now that I look at it... that pronterface and an SD card might just be the easiest way to go for the second printer. (thecadman99mentioned that too.) I'll wait for the printer to show up then I'd play around and experiment with whats easiest.

-Steve