About MakerGear Video

General discussion topics
rpollack

About MakerGear Video

Post by rpollack » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:13 pm

We are having a short About MakerGear video made for the new website (2-3 minute). Is there anything in particular that you suggest that we cover/discuss in the video?

Thank you,
Rick

jimc

Re: About MakerGear Video

Post by jimc » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:18 am

a quick facility tour and intro to the crew. of course if you have a time limit of 2-3 min then that may not be possible.

mitchfx

Post by mitchfx » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:26 am

It would be great to see a bit about how the kit components and assembled printers are QC'd and tested. Also being able to get a glimpse of the manufacturing and production process would be of great interest for potential customers (like me).

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:16 am

What appealed to me as a customer:
Made in America.
Pride in your product.
Metal construction.
Ease of use for those new to printing.
Reliability. (thorough testing before shipping.)
Great support staff with extensive technical knowledge who help with problems and parts that are kept on site for quicker availability.
Ongoing development. (Dual extruders and V4 and bed auto leveling being developed.)

Think you can cram all that into 3 minutes? (Chuckle!)

(And definitely show some prints. Let them see what it can do.)

insta

Post by insta » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:49 am

Bolt an M2 to the underside of a table, throw some zipties onto the bed spider, and show it printing upside down.

Pan downwards from a bored Josh writing on a clipboard for some reason (if I remember right he's a bigger guy) standing on the side of an M2 while it's printing.

Clamp the X carriage in a vise and show it's capable of moving the entire printer underneath it, maybe drop accel to 1000 for that demo...

Basically, a lot of people are afraid that they're going to break these machines by doing something wrong, show them yours isn't some thin laser-cut acrylic gadget and can put up with some abuse :)

my suggestions in no way correspond to how often i have to get new parts from karen
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:34 am

Personally, I'd like to see Rick, Karen and Josh. With the support you provide and the speed of which you do so, I am just as intrigued by the people behind the product as I am the machine itself. 3 minutes is super-short on a project like this, but maybe a quote from each of you would add the human-element that makes you so unique.

That and some awesome photography of close-up models to illustrate how nice this printer performs right out of the box.

PcS

Post by PcS » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:31 am

Spotopolis wrote:Personally, I'd like to see Rick, Karen and Josh. With the support you provide and the speed of which you do so, I am just as intrigued by the people behind the product as I am the machine itself. 3 minutes is super-short on a project like this, but maybe a quote from each of you would add the human-element that makes you so unique.

That and some awesome photography of close-up models to illustrate how nice this printer performs right out of the box.
I second this thought !!! Awesome idea ! To showcase an awesome group ! Thanks again Makergear !

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:22 pm

I agree...... What sold me on Makergear beside the M2 looking like it was just very well built was a quick article in Make: magazine about Rick himself. Although it was the shortest article maybe 2-3 paragraphs it basically laid out how he started in his garage making extruders one at a time and then turned that into a business that focused on making quality machines. Overall I saw a little bit of myself in Rick in that article and it led me to believe Rick was (in a nut shell) one of "us" and he was who was going to get my money not some big faceless company. I don't regret my decision one bit, I just fired up my second M2 this weekend if that doesn't say enough about Makergear products then I don't know what will.

-Steve

pcenginefx

Post by pcenginefx » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:55 pm

This may be out of the scope of the video, but we really need some videos showing all of the little tips and tricks that pop up in the forum. For example, I had accidentally stumbled across the one thread that outlines how to zip-tie the heated build plate wires so that they won't break.....that should be a video on your YouTube channel, not hidden in the forum.

I specialize in product videography and would love to make something for you guys if you have any needs for future products. This is one I created for the FF Creator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9zZX_gGPjI
//Aaron
3D Print Services | www.3dhubs.com/seattle/hubs/aaron

insta

Post by insta » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:27 pm

gah those bed arms :o
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org