Printing QR codes

General discussion topics
mharter

Printing QR codes

Post by mharter » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:05 pm

I have set out on a quest to print QR codes. I have found a few areas where there is demand for printed QR codes, so I am gonna tackle this project. I was wondering if anyone here has attempted this and what their results where. I am going to be experimenting with them over the next few weeks and posting my results here. I did an initial print last night with the standard M2 settings (I use S3D). See the image attached. For scale, this is 2.75" square. Some of the QR code blocks did not receive a solid infill. Now I am going to work through the settings to achieve a solid surface print. Feel free to comment...would love to hear successes and failures, will help me in my quest.
Attachments
IMG_4189.JPG
(624.39 KiB) Downloaded 438 times

Matt_Sharkey

Re: Printing QR codes

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:57 pm

Can you zip and post your .STL? I think i may have an idea on how to insist on Slic3r to infil this area...

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:22 pm

mharter wrote:Some of the QR code blocks did not receive a solid infill
If at all possible, set the "pixel" dimensions to an even integer multiple of the thread width, so the slicer can exactly fill the space. Some slicers can do variable-width fill, but picking the right geometry helps a lot.

The smallest possible pixel will be a 2x2 thread square. Right now, they're are about 4.75 threads wide: two threads around the perimeter plus nearly one thread width unfilled down the middle.

You should also calibrate the Extrusion Multiplier value, because the threads on the top surface of the background don't quite fuse together:
viewtopic.php?t=1964&p=9180

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:23 pm

when doing text or anything like this use 1 perimeter. this way you will get solid infill in all the areas.

mharter

Post by mharter » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:19 pm

Matt_Sharkey wrote:Can you zip and post your .STL? I think i may have an idea on how to insist on Slic3r to infil this area...
I don't have the file with me...it is on my home workstation. I will do this once I get home.

Edit: I have Simplify3D, not Slic3r. I might take a look at this, but will still send you the file after work. Would like to check out how Slic3r works.
Last edited by mharter on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mharter

Post by mharter » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:27 pm

ednisley wrote:
mharter wrote:Some of the QR code blocks did not receive a solid infill
If at all possible, set the "pixel" dimensions to an even integer multiple of the thread width, so the slicer can exactly fill the space. Some slicers can do variable-width fill, but picking the right geometry helps a lot.

The smallest possible pixel will be a 2x2 thread square. Right now, they're are about 4.75 threads wide: two threads around the perimeter plus nearly one thread width unfilled down the middle.

You should also calibrate the Extrusion Multiplier value, because the threads on the top surface of the background don't quite fuse together:
viewtopic.php?t=1964&p=9180

I noticed the surface separation...gonna run a calibration routine this evening when I get home. Once I get it calibrated then I can better scale the QR code so it is proportional to the width of the thread.

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:06 pm

No useful input from what's been already said. But check out mine :-)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141

mharter

Post by mharter » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:36 pm

jsc wrote:No useful input from what's been already said. But check out mine :-)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141
Thanks for the link! I agree, having the dual extruder will make it much easier. They should be shipping by the end of the month...can't wait! Once I get my printer re-calibrated and all of the infills of the code solid, I am going to experiment injecting a contrasting color of liquid acrylic so it will settle into all the valleys and create the contrast needed to be scannable.

It is a lot of experimentation and testing, but it is a great learning experience in regards to me becoming one with my M2.

mharter

Post by mharter » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:49 pm

Matt_Sharkey wrote:Can you zip and post your .STL? I think i may have an idea on how to insist on Slic3r to infil this area...
Here you go. Thanks for taking a closer look.
Attachments
qr.zip
(12.18 KiB) Downloaded 307 times

insta

Post by insta » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestion on this, by the way :) It's even more striking in person. The code just takes you to my website, nothing fancy.
IMG_20150329_161609_nopm_.jpg
IMG_20150329_161609_nopm_.jpg (73.62 KiB) Viewed 10300 times
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org