Extruder thermocouple

General discussion topics
Amphagory

Extruder thermocouple

Post by Amphagory » Fri May 22, 2015 3:23 am

Hi all,

I've recently had issues where it would stop at what seems the same height on a print. I did a complete PM, but the issue continued. Today, the fan in the RAMBO box started to make noise and I have no reading from the thermocouple attacked to the extruder. Maybe the board overheated? I hope it's a loose wire which I will check tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone encounter a similar situation.

I'm planning to move that RAMBO box outside the ikda box to make sure it is cooled properly.

Mike

ednisley

Re: Extruder thermocouple

Post by ednisley » Fri May 22, 2015 11:48 am

Amphagory wrote:no reading from the thermocouple attacked to the extruder.
That's a broken wire between the thermistor (not thermocouple) and the RAMBo, which is probably also the cause of the "stops at the same level" problem: when the thermistor disconnects from the RAMBo, the firmware stops printing. The console log should show error messages about minimum temperature error and suchlike.

Judging from recent reports, the problem will most likely be a broken wire at the thermistor: they're very fine and tend to break easily. The break may be inside the insulation where you can't see it, but if you measure the resistance at the connector while (gently!) poking the wires, you'll find a spot where the value jumps from around 100 kΩ to "open circuit".

It's less common to find a broken wire in the cable from the thermistor connector to the RAMBo board. If the thermistor seems OK, you should measure each wire separately to find the break; the most likely spots will be where the cable flexes as the extruder moves across the X axis.

Amphagory

Post by Amphagory » Fri May 22, 2015 3:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking it was a loose or as you suggested a broken wire.

Mike

Ronnien55

Post by Ronnien55 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:57 pm

I had the same problem, replace my cable between thermistor and RAMBo board and it is working fine. Lost my fan on the RAMBo box and am waiting on replacement fans.

Ronnien55

Post by Ronnien55 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:57 pm

I had the same problem, replace my cable between thermistor and RAMBo board and it is working fine. Lost my fan on the RAMBo box and am waiting on replacement fans.