Buying an M2

General discussion topics
Yodajammies

Re: Buying an M2

Post by Yodajammies » Wed May 27, 2015 8:28 pm

3.5) I also have Viki panels on every one of my M2s, but few do. Most people seem to be content with Octoprint or similar (I run both, they serve different purposes). If you have the budget I'd say get one ... worst case it's just extra bling, best case you use it every print.
Is this the optional LCD mount to run stand-alone prints with?

insta

Post by insta » Wed May 27, 2015 11:50 pm

Yodajammies wrote:
3.5) I also have Viki panels on every one of my M2s, but few do. Most people seem to be content with Octoprint or similar (I run both, they serve different purposes). If you have the budget I'd say get one ... worst case it's just extra bling, best case you use it every print.
Is this the optional LCD mount to run stand-alone prints with?
Yeah, it is. There's not really a faster way to manipulate the printer, things like OctoPrint & direct-host control come close, but the Viki has all the options right there.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Quark

Post by Quark » Thu May 28, 2015 2:29 am

Vprints wrote:For Step 4, I personally suggest mirroring the motor mount so the wires are on the right -- I found the wires were rubbing against / moving with the filament guide, but moving the wires to the other side of the motor fixed that.

Since you're in HI, search the forum for filament tubs -- it'll help keep the moisture away while it's on the machine.

For part modeling, if you're just getting started I suggest either FreeCAD [non-trivial learning curve, though], OpenSCAD [awesome for fairly simple things], and/or Fusion 360 [free for personal / non-commercial use only, though -- but SO much easier to design things with than FreeCAD...]

Enjoy :D

Nice, another tip to add to my to-do list. As for part modeling, I've seen lots and lots of different software. I'll be using sketchup at first, since I already use it to model my parts on the lathe, but definitely will try others, I think this alone could be a whole discussion.

I'll take a look at the filament tubs, would have to fit into an enclosure I'm contemplating on building. I have cats at home which I am pretty sure will find the printer is an interesting toy.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu May 28, 2015 2:42 am

Quark wrote: I have cats at home which I am pretty sure will find the printer is an interesting toy.
Wouldn't worry about that.....I have cats and they are completely uninterested in it. (It makes noises. They do not like noises without mice attached.) 8-)

Quark

Post by Quark » Thu May 28, 2015 3:05 am

Jules wrote:
Quark wrote: I have cats at home which I am pretty sure will find the printer is an interesting toy.
Wouldn't worry about that.....I have cats and they are completely uninterested in it. (It makes noises. They do not like noises without mice attached.) 8-)
what about 3d printed parts with cat hair stuck in it? :shock:

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu May 28, 2015 4:25 am

Oh, i've trained mine not to shed........

Quark

Post by Quark » Thu May 28, 2015 8:00 pm

Jules wrote:Oh, i've trained mine not to shed........
now that's some mad skills right there, I'll add that to my list of things to do for 3d printing. :D

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Thu May 28, 2015 11:11 pm

I have four. They pick different times to shed. This month it's orange hair, turning calico. Next month will be black and white. As long as you have a wipe (like a microfiber cloth) around the filament before it feeds into the drive, you should be fine. Helps avoid clogs from non-melty particles riding on the filament into the hot end.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu May 28, 2015 11:37 pm

You know it's funny, but with three super-shedders (and yes, they do prefer to deposit them into whatever you're eating, thank you), i've yet to have a single cat hair get into a print. And I hadn't really thought about it till you brought it up.

The cats really don't jump up on the cabinet to check out the machine, so the hair tends to stay on the floor instead of up where I'm printing. Matter of fact, they really don't like the noise and jerks that it makes at all, so they tend to give that area of the room a wide berth. (Double ditto on running a dust-wipe though, for smaller particles.) :D

Quark

Post by Quark » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:40 am

my bad, for my late response. haha, but I'm back from remodeling my shower, what I thought was going to take 5 straight days, turned to 2 months working on the weekends. I'm a bit bummed that they stopped selling kits, but I think I'll be okay with the built one. Here is what my cart looks like:

M2 3d printer
V4 .35mm nozzle
Borosilicate glass
thermistor for HBP
Thermistor for V3b/v4 extruder
1-abs spool,black.

That looks about right? I was originally going to spring for a v4 upgrade extra nozzles, but I hear that the v4 hotend is real easy to change out the nozzles if it jams up? Or should I spring for another hot end now?

I'm not hugely concern about the down time, but I figure these spares are a good start, and a good way to troubleshoot issues as well. I just don't want to be a few weeks in, and I need a replacement, that would not be a fun Christmas.

Also, there supposed to be like a little tube inside the hotend? does this need to get changed out when it jams or replace the nozzle?

Oh, and I'm building a box for it with filter and temperature controlled fans. Figured out I'm going to have to take up one of the cat's sleeping area, they will not be happy about that, so I need to protect this baby. :lol: