Starting with the V4 hot end

General discussion topics
CCVirginia

Starting with the V4 hot end

Post by CCVirginia » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:28 pm

Based on this forum it looks like the V4 hot end has been through its beta cycles, is ready for prime time and is in all respects preferred over the V3b. In getting a new M2, it would seem much better (and cheaper and less confusing) to just start with the V4. Is there any reason that new M2s would not come with the V4? If, for some reason, it is not available, would it be better to wait?

jimc

Re: Starting with the V4 hot end

Post by jimc » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:50 pm

it is still being sold as an upgrade but if you want to buy a new m2 i would send an email to rick or karen. im sure they could build one with a v4. im also sure this would affect the price as well.

lem

Post by lem » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:22 pm

I've been waiting to buy an M2 for the V4 to be supplied with the build instead of the V3B.

There would be some savings for not getting the V3B, but in looking at the price for purchasing a V3B it would not be much of a credit, however, it should be less than purchasing an M2 with the V3B and the V4 upgrade. Keep in mind that what should be, may not be.

It's a moot point for me at this time as my M2 fund has been consumed by another machine purchase. I'll still buy an M2, but my time frame has changed.

CCVirginia

Post by CCVirginia » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:27 pm

jimc wrote:it is still being sold as an upgrade but if you want to buy a new m2 i would send an email to rick or karen. im sure they could build one with a v4. im also sure this would affect the price as well.
I did send a message to Rick last Friday, no response yet. As for price - they seem about the same, we shall see. The more I read here the less sense it seems to make to get the older version.

CCVirginia

Post by CCVirginia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:20 pm

Still no response from Makergear after 2 emails over 2 business days (4 real time days) about an order :? . An original query I made also took quite a bit of time. I am getting quite concerned about the responsiveness of the company, which is essential to their success and our ongoing support. Frankly, with the uncertainty about the heads and lack of response I may cancel the order. What is the experience of others?

insta

Post by insta » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:50 pm

I hear this occasionally, and I'm not sure why. Maybe your emails are getting filtered off to spam?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:08 pm

What email address did you try them at?

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:20 pm

CCVirginia wrote:Still no response from Makergear after 2 emails over 2 business days (4 real time days) about an order :? . An original query I made also took quite a bit of time. I am getting quite concerned about the responsiveness of the company, which is essential to their success and our ongoing support. Frankly, with the uncertainty about the heads and lack of response I may cancel the order. What is the experience of others?
Oh no, you don't want to do that, you'll miss out on the best printer on the market! :D

Are you sure you're sending the emails to the right place? (If you sent them directly to Rick, he might be out of town.)

For sales related questions, the correct email address is info@makergear.com.
For technical help it's support@makergear.com.

From their web page: {Technical support hours are normally Monday - Friday 9:00AM - 6:00 PM Eastern Time. Support is generally handled through email. During business hours we typically respond within a few hours. It can, however, take up to 48 hours to receive a response. Weekend support requests are typically handled on Monday morning. Our goal is to be as responsive as possible but support volume varies and that impacts our response time.}

But I've generally found that they are a lot faster than that. I just contacted them yesterday concerning a missing screw in an upgrade kit and they were able to toss a few into an order that I'd placed last week, just before it shipped out. You don't need to worry about the ongoing support with these guys - they might be busy, (and understaffed) but they get things done. If you just placed an order for a machine and want to switch out to a different nozzle, they have at least a month before they get to the nozzle part of the assembly, so it's not a rush to get back to you immediately - you'll hear back from them. (They might have to check inventory before being able to answer your question, or check the pricing if you are asking for a special build, so give it some time.)

Rhodges09

Post by Rhodges09 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:19 am

I would like to second all that Jules stated. I ordered my M2 in March and got it in the middle of April, I got the self assembly kit and it was extremely well packed and labeled. I did have one issue, I was missing a pair of bearings for the belt idle arms, I contacted them and same day got an email with a tracking number for the the bearings, these guys are totally awesome.

I understand you are about to make an investment and you have legitimate questions and concerns but bear with them, maybe Insta is right, and your just in some kinda filter.

I hope it all works out I am glad I went with Makergear it is well worth it.

CCVirginia

Post by CCVirginia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:52 am

Well, I finally did get an a answer of sorts: "its complicated". Seems its just not something they are willing to deal with. Probably want to deplete the v3 inventory and/or there are supply chain problems. i would think there would be a more customer friendly way to handle it - but they do what they need to run a small business. Perhaps the extra $100 to sell the retrograde is important to them. Unfortunate position in this very competitive market where every advantage could turn the tide.