Max safe temp for V3a?

General discussion topics
dsharp02

Max safe temp for V3a?

Post by dsharp02 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:44 pm

I'm doing an experiment with ABS and HIPS, and I'm having some problems getting them to adhere to each other. It's been suggested that I try raising the temp to 245 to get better adhesion, but I'm concerned this would melt my groovemount. So what is the maximum safe temperature?

Thanks,
Dave

jimc

Re: Max safe temp for V3a?

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:02 pm

The official temp is 220. You can go higher. The v3a temp are a little different than a block style. I knowni ran my v3a higher but its been so long since i had one i dont remember exactly. I think you should be fine at 235-240 but prob wouldnt go higher than that.

insta

Post by insta » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:51 pm

dsharp02 wrote:I'm doing an experiment with ABS and HIPS, and I'm having some problems getting them to adhere to each other. It's been suggested that I try raising the temp to 245 to get better adhesion, but I'm concerned this would melt my groovemount. So what is the maximum safe temperature?

Thanks,
Dave
I have a backup V3a if you nuke yours during this experiment, FYI.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:18 pm

I tried mine at 240 and out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw it twist.

When I manually extruded, it went BANG, a huge puff of smoke came out of it and sprayed some weird pinkish substance all over the build plate. It was very difficult to clean off. Needless to say, that was it for that hot end. That prompted me go with the E3D I had been considering.

I would recommend not standing near it if you try it. There is still a crease in my chair if you know what I mean!

insta

Post by insta » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:22 pm

That sounds like you had a bit of PLA clogged in the barrel or something. What happened to the hotend?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:30 pm

I tried to take it apart to torch the nozzle, but the ceramic crumbled to pieces. Rather than fix it, I just switched over to the E3D since I didn't want to spend the $$$ to upgrade to 24V and a new hot end at the same time.