Securing your bed: Binder clips, none, or other?

General discussion topics
kartcrg

Securing your bed: Binder clips, none, or other?

Post by kartcrg » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:39 am

I'm wondering what you guys do to secure your bed during printing. I'm mostly referring to the stock glass bed. I know some of you use those Mrcleanr6 corner clamps but I'm wondering if I'm the only one that doesn't notice a difference between using binder clips or using nothing at all? My bed seems to stay in place just fine (when heated) with nothing securing it. Is there a reason I shouldn't do this?

Thanks!!

Jules

Re: Securing your bed: Binder clips, none, or other?

Post by Jules » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:45 am

I keep mine clipped with small binder clips, but to make it easier to get them on and off, i loosened the tension. Sometimes the machine is really rockin' and it helps to have the bed clipped. But i have run a couple of prints where i forgot to attach the clips, and they turned out fine. Probably just depends on how many thin walls you're printing. (It really jumps around when doing infill on thin walls. It's actually made the machine creep across the desk.)

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:56 am

problem is all the glass varies in size a little. some people have glass that fit snug between all the rubber in the corners. others have it loose and it jiggles around. also fitment changes as things heat up. i really did get tired of screwing around with the binder clips. they just always seemed to be in the way which is why i made the corner clamps.

insta

Post by insta » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:55 am

kartcrg wrote:I'm wondering what you guys do to secure your bed during printing. I'm mostly referring to the stock glass bed. I know some of you use those Mrcleanr6 corner clamps but I'm wondering if I'm the only one that doesn't notice a difference between using binder clips or using nothing at all? My bed seems to stay in place just fine (when heated) with nothing securing it. Is there a reason I shouldn't do this?

Thanks!!
I've wanted to try a misting of high-temp low-grip adhesive spray between the bed and the glass. My bed stays pretty stable, but the glass is variable. I'm sure it'll find some fascinating new way to ruin a component of the printer (seriously kids, don't try the things I do to your M2) :mrgreen:
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:09 am

insta wrote: (seriously kids, don't try the things I do to your M2) :mrgreen:
After i just bought 4x Nema17 Dampers.......

insta

Post by insta » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:31 am

godspeed to your M2.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

creativedex

Post by creativedex » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:29 pm

Anyone able to find thicker gauge binder clips? using the medium binder clips and even they are a bit weak... I know they exist but just cant find where to buy them... office depot is the only place that advertises heavy duty binder clips but you can only order them online, which i will be doing but wondered if anyone knew of any specifically

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:49 pm

i know this totally doesnt answer your question but do you really still feel the need to actually use binder clips? you can simply print new and swap out the bed corners and completely do without the binder clips all together. not to over promote my own stuff but alot of people have moved to my bed corners. its probably the one single best mod i ever made for my m2's. i havent used a binder clip in prob a year and half. print in abs or polycarb only.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:602194

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:00 pm

creativedex wrote:Anyone able to find thicker gauge binder clips? using the medium binder clips and even they are a bit weak... I know they exist but just cant find where to buy them... office depot is the only place that advertises heavy duty binder clips but you can only order them online, which i will be doing but wondered if anyone knew of any specifically
Problem with clips - each outfit has it's own determination of what "small", "medium" and "large" are, based on how many sizes they carry. I use the small or medium (depending on the seller) 5/8" capacity clips opened up with pliers, and I'm still clipping the damned things occasionally with the nozzle on large area prints. (Anything larger than that and I'm afraid it might damage the nozzle when it collides.) They're the Acco brand, and they're heavy enough to do the job.

Amazon has them. (Think most of them are the same though, re-branded, resized and relabeled.) :D

creativedex

Post by creativedex » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:37 pm

Jimc, no hard feelings but I tried your corners but ended up making my own that just hold the hot plate down and the glass/pei sits on top with binder clips, needed something faster so i just swap the plates... I'm not the biggest fan of binder clips either but they are fast to remove and the pei warps slightly which is why I'm looking for thicker gauge clips because the medium (5/8" opening) arent strong enough.. I have one binder clip that is nearly double the stiffness of the others but there are no markings to identify it! Just found another guys version of bed clips (see below) that i might try if i can find them.

Just got my second m2 the other day and this new metal case has the fan closer to where the filament purges... first print and it managed to wiggle into the fan, anyone got a quick fix for it? otherwise i will be making something for that soon. Also anyone know what the latest revision to the filament drive was for? it was just posted 2 weeks ago

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:778950