USB or SD: How do you Print?

General discussion topics
Alloy

USB or SD: How do you Print?

Post by Alloy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:02 pm

Do you print via USB cable or do you save the gcode to the SD card and print from that? Why? What are the benefits of either way?

I print via USB mainly because I don't have an SD card reader.

Jules

Re: USB or SD: How do you Print?

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:20 pm

Do you print via USB cable or do you save the gcode to the SD card and print from that?
Both.

Usually just over USB, but we have a lot of weather and power surges around here, (or Windows might decide to run a freaking update), and SD is more stable. (Any little thing can cause a USB connection to drop, particularly if you are attached to a hub and extensions. :roll: )

The other main reason for using the SD card is if i want to drop a color-change pause or two into the design.

But generally I just send the command over USB - it's quicker. :D

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:39 pm

SD card mostly - write the file via usb or network, then kick off though the lcd panel or via the network (running smoothieboard instead of a rambo)
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:46 am

100% USB. To me just more convenient.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:45 am

Over the years, it's always been USB with Pronterface from an assortment of Linux PCs (formerly Ubuntu, now Mint). Almost never a problem, never a random disconnect, no spoiled prints, and no speed issues: It Just Works.

Sanju

Post by Sanju » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:57 am

I tend to use USB for smaller prints (less than 3-4 hours) and SD for the larger things just so I don't have my laptop tied up with running the printer.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:54 am

under 1hr and from my mac i go usb. like ed, never an issue. windows machine....always sd

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:27 am

USB from Octopi, sometimes SD card but not often.
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:44 pm

USB. I use an old Mac mini with S3d on it to drive my printer. There is no monitor or keyboard, mouse. I control that Mac using screen sharing via Ethernet cable from my new Mac mini that I do my design work on.

Used the SD card a few times. Just a pain in the butt. If I had a print over four hours, maybe I would use it. I have had no trouble over USB.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:51 pm

USB, from both pronterface and Simplify3D, always from a Linux host. Like Ed says, "it just works".

When I take my M2 for show-and-tell away from home, I usually print off of the SD card, because it's one less thing I have to worry about during set-up, and because I use a laptop for the host, and the laptop will go into hibernation after a while if I forget to turn off the power saving mode.