Noob 101 - Designing your own parts

General discussion topics
jdlev

Noob 101 - Designing your own parts

Post by jdlev » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi Guys,

So just received the assembled M2, and good gosh this thing is spectacular...absolutely love it! Printed the tall spiral thing like a boss, and it was almost an exact match to the sample that was sent to me with the M2.

The first part I tried to make myself ended in utter disaster lol. 100% user error. Designed a part in google sketchup, and then exported through their .stl extension to simplified 3D. Tried to print, and the M2 would try to lay a few layers on the bottom, which would inevitably detach, and I'd end up with a ball of melted plastic. Had a few noob questions:

A) What are the defacto standards for 3D design and 3D printing programs. I've heard simplified3D is the benchmark for printing, but don't know a lot about the design aspects. I know how to use sketchup pretty well, and can throw 3D models together quickly and easily. If I could stick with that, I'd like to to shorten the learning curve, but I'm not sure how reliable their .stl export extension is. I tried the open source version of some CAD software -freeCAD, but to me it just seems like I'm learning sketchup all over again.

B) When it comes to the M2, is there some sort of setting that I can put in that will automatically print the piece in the middle of the hot bed?

C) So after I created the .stl file in sketchup, I imported it into simplified3D. I updated the settings to the standard 215C/70C, and turned the fan on full blast. One question I had is what is gcode? I watched the M2 tutorial vids on starting a print from the memory card...which was a piece of cake. But when I try to print from the settings, it asks for gcode...or something other than the .stl file. I was also confused as to what a .factory file was? I know I need to go to school on s3D, but wanted to just dive right in and print some simple stuff that I had actually designed (I know...typical noob over-excitement...)

D) Are there any good books out there to really learn the ins and outs of 3D printing that you guys recommend...maybe a 3D printing for dummies lol?

E) Oh..one other thing...what do you guys think are the top 3 repositories to find complete/free models you can just download and print? My minds been going a mile a minute with all the stuff to print...was thinking about a simplistic wind turbine since I have about 4-5 dc motors just lying around. Of course...then I got into looking at magnet motors for electrical generation, and ended up buying $100 worth of rare earth magnets. :roll: Noob...and impulsive...hopefully the M2 can handle me! :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance guys! Look forward to hanging around the board and printing some amazing stuff.

Bratag

Re: Noob 101 - Designing your own parts

Post by Bratag » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:03 pm

Welcome

a) First check out this thread

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1498

Second - I personally just switched from sketchup (and others) to Fusion 360 and while it was a learning curve , thanks to the folks here and a bunch of tutorial videos I am now in love with it. The dev team for it are very responsive and constantly improving it. Best of all its FREE for hobbyists.
If I had all the money in the world I would go with Rhino and I know a lot of people here do (rich buggers)

Using sketchup I had all sorts of trouble getting objects to be water-tight ie: all surfaces closed. I was constantly having to run stuff through netfabb to fix issues the program should not have been introducing. Maybe it was user error but it was a PITA.

b) In simplify3d hit center and arrange on the main screen and it will plonk the model down dead center.

c) First layers should be put down with the fan off as a rule for better adhesion. Gcode is basically machine instructions saying "Move the print head here, extrude this much platic etc". Its a bunch of coordinates and extruder instructions/printbed instructions

d) No books that I know of but go watch every video that Tom Sandalander has put out. Great resource.

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:12 pm

You may want to take a look at the M2 Tips thread in the tips forum for a collection of newbie wisdom.

A) There are no "standard" design programs. Everyone likes their own. A lot of people do excellent work in Sketchup, but that's in spite of Sketchup rather than because of it. For 3D printing, I would definitely recommend something designed for CAD in mind, you will have far fewer issues with STL errors.

You might try DesignSpark Mechanical or AutoDesk 123D Design. They are simple to learn coming from Sketchup because you don't have to worry about "history" or "parametric modeling". Those things are very powerful, though, and you may want to step up. I recommend OnShape or Fusion 360. Those programs are all free or can be used for free; if you're willing to pay money (sometimes REAL money) there are a lot of other options.

B) Your slicer should have a button that takes care of that. Center and Arrange in Simplify3D.

C) STL specifies the model geometry. Your printer needs a set of explicit instructions for what to do (move here, extrude this much, etc.) That is gcode. The slicer takes the model and generates the printer instructions. Hitting Prepare to Print will do that. A Factory file is a Simplify3D save file that packages up your project (a model with all its settings) so you can share with other users. Check this out for some more details: http://jinschoi.github.io/simplify3d-docs/

D) Not that I've seen. There's this: http://www.amazon.com/Functional-Design ... 1497537460 but that's more for the engineering aspects.

E) Thingiverse is the defacto repository. There are a lot of competitors that popped up when people got made at Makerbot, but none of those have really taken off. Grabcad is also good for CAD models in general, not necessarily for 3D printing. AutoDesk 123D Design has a built-in repository that has some interesting things (http://www.123dapp.com/Gallery/content/all).

Sigh, too slow again.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi jd, welcome to the group! :)
A) What are the defacto standards for 3D design and 3D printing programs. I've heard simplified3D is the benchmark for printing, but don't know a lot about the design aspects. I know how to use sketchup pretty well, and can throw 3D models together quickly and easily. If I could stick with that, I'd like to to shorten the learning curve, but I'm not sure how reliable their .stl export extension is. I tried the open source version of some CAD software -freeCAD, but to me it just seems like I'm learning sketchup all over again.
Just my personal feeling, (because i've never used Sketchup or freeCAD), but the 3D design programs seem to be a case of "you get what you pay for". The ones that are easiest to learn and use (and it will still take a while) tend to cost some big bucks. The one i chose was Rhino 5, and i love it greatly. Got up to speed on that one in a month or two, and i never would have expected that. But the open source programs that i tried, while they still did what you wanted, took about four to five times longer to implement your design, and they were comparatively limited.
B) When it comes to the M2, is there some sort of setting that I can put in that will automatically print the piece in the middle of the hot bed?
In Simplify3D there is a Center and Arrange button, right under the Models Import area.
C) So after I created the .stl file in sketchup, I imported it into simplified3D. I updated the settings to the standard 215C/70C, and turned the fan on full blast. One question I had is what is gcode? I watched the M2 tutorial vids on starting a print from the memory card...which was a piece of cake. But when I try to print from the settings, it asks for gcode...or something other than the .stl file. I was also confused as to what a .factory file was? I know I need to go to school on s3D, but wanted to just dive right in and print some simple stuff that I had actually designed (I know...typical noob over-excitement...)
Okay, let's see if i can explain this:

The G-Code is the thousands of commands that tell the M2 how to move, how much to extrude, when to retract, etc. When you create a design, the slicing software (in your case Simplify3D) slices the model you created and then creates a G-Code file that tells the machine how to move and how much to squirt, etc.

At that point you have two choices - you can send that file to the printer using your USB connection, which means it just starts printing based on those commands. Or you can save a copy of the G-Code to an SD card, then carry that card over to the printer, insert it, and using the commands in Simplify 3D, start the print that way. The reason why you would do that is - you might want to make a change to the G-Code created by the Simplify3D, (to insert a pause for a color change or for something to be inserted into the print, for instance) or you might not have a stable USB connection. Printing from the SD card is a lot more stable than printing through USB.

If you're brand new, just print from the USB and do a little research on G-Code modifications before you try one.
D) Are there any good books out there to really learn the ins and outs of 3D printing that you guys recommend...maybe a 3D printing for dummies lol?
Not that i know of, if you find one, be sure to share the knowledge!
E) Oh..one other thing...what do you guys think are the top 3 repositories to find complete/free models you can just download and print? My minds been going a mile a minute with all the stuff to print...was thinking about a simplistic wind turbine since I have about 4-5 dc motors just lying around. Of course...then I got into looking at magnet motors for electrical generation, and ended up buying $100 worth of rare earth magnets. :roll: Noob...and impulsive...hopefully the M2 can handle me!
Thingiverse, of course, and depending on what you want specifically, just do a Google search for 3D printer models. There are so many of them, I gave up at a dozen or so. Most have the same models for the funsie stuff, but there are specific repositories for gun parts, engine parts, etc.

Have fun! :lol:

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:27 pm

Jeez, you guys are quick! :lol:

CCVirginia

Post by CCVirginia » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:39 am

jdlev wrote:E) Oh..one other thing...what do you guys think are the top 3 repositories to find complete/free models you can just download and print? My minds been going a mile a minute with all the stuff to print...was thinking about a simplistic wind turbine since I have about 4-5 dc motors just lying around. Of course...then I got into looking at magnet motors for electrical generation, and ended up buying $100 worth of rare earth magnets. :roll: Noob...and impulsive...hopefully the M2 can handle me! :mrgreen: .
Just a thought from another just a few weeks ahead of you; when I started I thought I would "keep it simple" and print out some things from thingiverse to just learn the print side. Well, the success with those has been very mixed, some don't print at all. Some work well. Many are marginal. I have had much better success with things I did in 123D. 123D isn't the greatest, but it has been sufficient for my initial adventures and I would use it for simpler things - Fusion360 may be my next step when I need it (For zero $). My son wants to do more "sculpting" style (think game characters), and we have yet to find a good match - ZBrush is the leader but $$.

Have fun (and plan for a lot of time)!

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:41 am

Nothing i can add to what was already said except.....i told you that you would be happy and impressed with the m2. You made a good choice.

insta

Post by insta » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:51 am

jdlev wrote:

Which video?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:20 am

Re: designing characters, check out 123D Sculpt. It's an easy(?) free app for doing character sculpts, and you can get an STL out of it.

I haven't used it myself yet, so I don't know whether it's any good or not, but it certainly looks interesting.

jdlev

Post by jdlev » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:03 am

Wow! Talk about fast! You guys are great :)

I'm running into an issue with my models not sticking to the hot bed? I'm using the standard black PLA that comes with the printer. I'm setting the temps correctly (I think?) to 215 & 70 degrees Celcius. I think the new M2's come with the v4 extruder, so I'm not entirely certain those temps are correct.

Anyways, so far I've tried to print 4 models, and only one has been completed...the other 3 have come plastic hairballs pushing the model around. I tried sticking the polyimide tape to the glass deck, but that hasn't work. I've tried increasing the bed temp to 75C, but that hasn't worked either. The funny thing is, the models are typically about 1/2 way done before they mess up.

Any ideas on how to fix this stuff?