3D Strenth test results and invitation

General discussion topics
CCVirginia

3D Strenth test results and invitation

Post by CCVirginia » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:43 pm

I have been experimenting with testing the strength of 3D printed materials. I built a test rig (see below) and made a google form to capture results and a sheet to capture results. I welcome others to submit tests as well with their own test setup. I can also do a limited number of tests if you would like to mail me samples. Please let me know if this is of interest to others.

This was inspired by some failures due to wrong temperatures (in PETG) as well as wanting the e-nable hands to be strong.

The results page is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 5s/pubhtml – just a few test to start, this should grow as more samples are added. I want to understand the impact of factors such as extrusion temp as well as materials. So far I have just tried some of my “standard temps”, which are close in results.

Please contact me for the form link to add your own tests!

I have been using 5x5x70mm samples printed with 3 layers and no fill. I then record other factors such as material and temperature (you can see all the factors on the above link).; I usually print 5 on a raft to get a statistical sampling. You can test other sizes as long as they break at under 100lbs.
Samples.jpg
Samples
Samples.jpg (37.81 KiB) Viewed 3373 times

Below is a description of my test rig. I intend on publishing the files and instructions. This can be built by anyone for about $35-$40.

I built this rig to break a sample in half pulling on a hanging scale. I pull the sample across bolts mounted 40mm apart.
FlexuralTest.jpg
Test in progress
FlexuralTest.jpg (24.83 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
Here is the sample under test and scale close up:
BreakingSampleScale.jpg
Sample under test
BreakingSampleScale.jpg (32.44 KiB) Viewed 3373 times

This Scale has a “peak” read feature – so it will show the maximum pull until reset. There are not a lot of meters that will do this, it is the only one I found for not so much ($28): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N1AQVSQ
It is limited to 110 lbs, over that the costs go up quite a bit and it is hard to find the peak feature (also, other things may start to have issues with much more force). I pull on the sample very slowly until it breaks, the scale shows the maximum force.

First I tried a tensile pull test on a 1cm square but it required to much force. Even with a “flexural” (break in half) test I found that a 1cm ABS sample would not break at 100lbs. So, I have gone down to 5mm samples – these are breaking at 10-15lbs. So, I think I will use this size as my standard – 5x5x70 with 3 layers and no fill. I may also try and build a holder for tensile (pulling) tests with a smaller sample, tensile would require more force.

I mounted 2 1/4 inch bolts on a doubled-up electrical box cover and pull it with wire rope connected to a hinge. I mounted a handle on the hinge and a printed part to sturdy the sample and scale hook over the box covers. Both will be uploaded to thingiverse with build instructions.

jsc

Re: 3D Strenth test results and invitation

Post by jsc » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:52 pm

Interested to see your results, and how well they correlate with rsilvers': viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2161