The WAVES are back!?!

General discussion topics
jimc

Re: The WAVES are back!?!

Post by jimc » Wed May 28, 2014 5:19 am

john, download this file i made awhile back. it will help you out.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:180970

JohnnyRobot

Post by JohnnyRobot » Wed May 28, 2014 5:36 am

That's totally what I'm getting! I'm using Kapton tape.
╒═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╕
-- Hi! No signature here.
╘═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╛

Toby

Post by Toby » Wed May 28, 2014 8:10 pm

Seems like Jim's demonstration is pretty conclusive that the problem is the z-height.

I don't remember if anyone mentioned the different ways of leveling/z-height adjustment in this thread. There's a couple of methods outlined in the Tips thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12

I'm not very adept mechanically and would have a hard time if I had to do it the makergear way. The method using S3D works wonders for me though. It's about a minute or two before each print and it's spot on every time.

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed May 28, 2014 9:34 pm

I decided to track down the M2 bed leveling video I'd heard about and watch it for the first time. It is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R53wWwktH0s

That's exactly what I do! With a clean glass bed, it is very easy to see variations in the nozzle height as you move it around. Very fast and easy to get the bed level to within the flatness of the glass. I find it falls off for me around the edges. If you have your bed covered with a non-reflective material or it is gunked up, it may be easier to use Toby's S3D wizard way.

Mount PrintMore

Post by Mount PrintMore » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:43 am

Have you checked the actual diameter of your nozzle? I had the end of mine "blow out" and end up being about 1.5 mm instead of 0.35 and it did a bunch of crazy things. I spent hours and hours messing with settings and filaments.

Also, check the printed plastic bracket that holds your extruder to the x axis guide rail. Mine developed some cracks and the additional motion due to the loss of stiffness caused some odd things, especially on the first layer.

My machine ran flawlessly for about a year with zero intervention, then I had both of these problems occur nearly simultaneously. My heated bed thermistor also failed and my x-axis belt needed tightened.