The WAVES are back!?!

General discussion topics
JohnnyRobot

Re: The WAVES are back!?!

Post by JohnnyRobot » Tue May 27, 2014 5:46 pm

Here are the files. I've zipped up both the stl file and the fff file.

Maximum upload size here is 1MB, so I posted it to my OneDrive https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F ... ile%2c.zip
╒═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╕
-- Hi! No signature here.
╘═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╛

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Tue May 27, 2014 6:29 pm

For what it's worth, I had waviness on my first layers that looked exactly like shown in the first photo of the thread. It extended for maybe half of the first layer, not the whole thing. I thought it was a combination of Z axis and bed leveling.

I re-leveled the bed, re-did the Z axis, and the problem was gone for me. I also noted at the time that my extruder was at a VERY slight angle from vertical, which might have made the first layer extrusion more likely to push out to one side, just as an unlevel bed might. After the first layer, it started clearing up and no effects could be seen after about 3 layers.

I saw that you readjusted the Z axis...did you re-level also? If not, give that a shot, re-do the Z axis and see if that helps. Sorry if I missed a post where you'd already one the re-level.

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue May 27, 2014 9:55 pm

Okay, a few things I noted. May or may not have relevance to your waves.

First, the FFF format is the pre-2.0.1 version format. You should probably upgrade.
Secondly, you have manual extrusion width set to 0.35, i.e., the same as your nozzle diameter. That is not recommended. It should be between 0.40 and 0.50.
Third, your startup gcode has the line "M108 S155". What vintage is your M2 (when did you buy it)? If it is within the last few months, is your extruder fan (the vertically mounted one) running when you start a print? If it is not, remove that line.

I haven't noticed anything else out of the ordinary. Make sure your extruder is mounted solidly, and that your bed is level and at the right height. Change the extruder width to 0.40 to start. If you have a caliper ($7 at Home Depot), measure your filament and see if it is significantly off from 1.75mm. Make sure your top fan is running constantly or you risk a meltdown.

Toby

Post by Toby » Wed May 28, 2014 3:41 am

ok i'm printing it now. I left your settings alone except I had to change the nozzle temp to 215 and the bed temp to 60 since I'm printing in PLA. Also I removed that fan setting from the start script that jin mentioned.

Man you really zip that thing around. i forgot the nozzle could move that fast.

Anyway... I'll let it go for the first three solid layers and see what I end up with. I figure if I don't get the waves that means it's something to do with your physical environment- which would seem to be either bed leveling, z height, or filament.

JohnnyRobot

Post by JohnnyRobot » Wed May 28, 2014 4:20 am

Thank you so much. How's it look'n?

JohnnyRobot

Post by JohnnyRobot » Wed May 28, 2014 4:25 am

I received my M2 just before thanksgiving 2013. My vertical fan does run. It actually runs continuously while the M2 is powered on.

I set my manual extrusion rate to .45 and I'm still getting it. I'll need some more time to tune.

I will upgrade my S3d tonight also and see how that works out.

Thanks everyone for your help.

John

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed May 28, 2014 4:29 am

yes john at that time i do believe the m2 was still shipping with the 2 power bricks which means that the m108 s155 is correct. if you have the single power block then its a 24v machine and you would not want that command there. that is what jin was concerned with. we dont want to see you meltdown lol.

Toby

Post by Toby » Wed May 28, 2014 4:29 am

No waves:
jr.JPG
jr.JPG (40.88 KiB) Viewed 10658 times
The parts that aren't in focus look just like the parts that are. Nothing funny going on anywhere that I can see.

Probably someone asked this already, but what brand of filament are you using? Maybe that's the problem. You'll need calipers to verify the diameter though.

JohnnyRobot

Post by JohnnyRobot » Wed May 28, 2014 4:51 am

I'm using a brand called Octave. I've tried different filaments to rule that out though. I guess it's something environmental, or maybe the height issue. I guess I'll try to find the sweet spot between able to stick, and no waves.

JohnnyRobot

Post by JohnnyRobot » Wed May 28, 2014 4:52 am

I think I only have one power brick. There is only one power supply.
Last edited by JohnnyRobot on Wed May 28, 2014 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.