Noobie...from the UK.

General discussion topics
rgproduct.com

Noobie...from the UK.

Post by rgproduct.com » Tue May 27, 2014 2:02 pm

Hi all,

I am about to get a second hand M2 from a seller in central London. I am near Windsor just west of LDN.

Dug around and learned this is the best place to learn the tool, also best place to get an answer to questions. I have emailed makergear direct twice now in the last 6 days and had no reply...did I upset someone?

Anyhow, machine I intend to buy seems to have a blocked heater and or nozzle.

Is there a simple way for me to get these to or in the UK please?

Does anyone know of any users near me please (I am very near Pinewwod, Shepperton and Bray studios)?

My website:

www.rgproduct.com

twitter:

@rgproductdotcom

...and yes, I need to learn 3D modelling from scratch and have avoided autocad like the plague for 15 yrs as it is painful. I appreciate there are better 3D modelling programs these days. Am very hot on Photoshop though FWIW...

Thanks in advance, I look forward to contributing from and offering advice to this forum.

R

Toby

Re: Noobie...from the UK.

Post by Toby » Tue May 27, 2014 3:59 pm

rgproduct.com wrote:Dug around and learned this is the best place to learn the tool, also best place to get an answer to questions. I have emailed makergear direct twice now in the last 6 days and had no reply...did I upset someone?
depends on what you asked. i once asked about using non-standard filament in the M2 and got no reply. it puzzled me until i read on the website that they only support pla and abs. it makes sense to me now because they can't possibly support every kind of filament out there. i thought a short reply to that effect would have been nice, but i can also see why it would be burdensome for them to engage the issue at all.

i personally have confidence in makergear support. if you have a problem with your printer that is within the scope of the hardware they provide, they will go the extra mile to make sure you are back printing. there are many stories here of how they do that. but if you're outside that scope, you may get no reply.

as for the blocked nozzle, you can clean that out if the owner is amenable. i haven't had the problem yet myself, but others have written about how to do it. unfortunately i don't remember the best threads. here's one that sticks in my mind because it includes what you shouldn't do:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9&start=10

the saga begins on the next to last page of the thread.

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Tue May 27, 2014 6:44 pm

I agree with Toby about Makergear's level of support. For me, at least, they have always been outstanding.

As to who may be in your area, try this thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 63rK_g5TbE

I thought there was a similar thread in this forum, but I did a quick look and can't see one.

rgproduct.com

Post by rgproduct.com » Tue May 27, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks for the replies above.

TBH I am disappointed.

Regardless of which filament was used (I simply do not know), I did also ask about supply of parts to the UK to help me decide whether buying a second hand M2 here makes any sense. I also asked if there were any UK suppliers or EU base for "local" parts.

I have had no constructive answer to that simple query, regardless of warranty, filament or whatever.

I am due to pick up the printer in 24 hrs but I feel frankly there is zero "bothered" factor about my questions regarding parts to the UK.

Did I miss something here? Feel free to correct me.

Can I get parts in the UK, how much is shipping/tax likely to be for very small items?

R

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Wed May 28, 2014 4:14 am

Your email asked if we have a larger machine. We do not have a larger machine.

Your next email came in yesterday. I do not recommend buying a used machine unless you know exactly what you are getting and how to use it.

Rick

P.S. Sorry for the short response. I am trying to get caught up from the weekend.

rgproduct.com

Post by rgproduct.com » Wed May 28, 2014 8:48 am

Thanks for the reply Rick.

True, I did ask about a bigger machine, is there one on the way? There are some very good value machines coming from Holland with big Z dimensions.

I also asked if there was any UK support iirc.

However, I am nervous about getting a machine not seen working. However the reputation of the machine is Tonka so am keen to get one.

Are you advising caution with second hand as the machine is currently an unknown quantity or my skills are?

Cannot speak for this machine but I know I have the aptitude to sort most things. My post grad in '96 was in stereo lith FWIW.

Am thinking I need to see the machine doing a print before parting with any money?

Thanks for your help.

R

Capt. John

Post by Capt. John » Wed May 28, 2014 4:14 pm

New hot ends are reasonable. If it's not extruding filament, make sure the machine accepts jog commands.
I had a piece break off and jam the hole to the hot, discovered that by removing and inspecting the housing
that attaches the hot end to the machine.

Used Makergear support only once and they did reply and fixed my question in about 1 business day.

Support I received here makes going thru regular Makergear not necessary.

Larger build volume, like taller? Build time has to be more then what I want to wait for.

Purchased my M2 on Amazon, rated the purchase a perfect 5 stars and this message board 10 stars.
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com