Hardened steel nozzle

General discussion topics
MagicEngineer

Hardened steel nozzle

Post by MagicEngineer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:11 pm

I have been looking for over an hour, but have been unable to find a nozzle for the v4 hotend made of hardened steel. I Have a small project that I would like to do in a copper fill filament, but I have read that you need a hardened steel nozzle to prevent excessive tip wear. Has anyone found a source?

insta

Re: Hardened steel nozzle

Post by insta » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:33 pm

The nozzles are cheap enough you could probably just replace them as you use them. I think all the hot zone of the v4 is polished steel, so it should work...

Then again, how big is a "small project"? Might just be fine to use and ignore the wear if it's less than 1kg.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:39 pm

insta wrote:The nozzles are cheap enough you could probably just replace them as you use them. I think all the hot zone of the v4 is polished steel, so it should work...

Then again, how big is a "small project"? Might just be fine to use and ignore the wear if it's less than 1kg.
My project will probably only require about .2kg of filament, but I want to be prepared for print failures and of course the inevitable next project. My concern is not so much the cost of replacing the nozzle, as the enlarging of the hole through the course of the print. How fast will the brass tips wear?

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:50 pm

We have stainless steel nozzles...I think we still have a few available.

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:09 pm

rpollack wrote:We have stainless steel nozzles...I think we still have a few available.
Do you have a link to those?

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:20 pm

Just ordered a regular V4 nozzle and asked for the steel in the notes. (Cause heck yeah, i want one too. Didn't know they had them available either.)

I'll let you know if that works! :D

Update: Yes, that did work! Got my Stainless Steel nozzle in yesterday. (Coolness!) :D
Last edited by Jules on Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:49 pm

Jules wrote:Just ordered a regular V4 nozzle and asked for the steel in the notes. (Cause heck yeah, i want one too. Didn't know they had them available either.)

Thank you! I would have never thought to do it that way. Is it just me, or does the makergear website need some serious reorganizing? I mean there is a listing for hotends but the v4 hotend is listed under the m2s. There is a listing for nozzles but the v4 nozzle is listed under upgrades.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:01 am

MagicEngineer wrote:
Jules wrote:Just ordered a regular V4 nozzle and asked for the steel in the notes. (Cause heck yeah, i want one too. Didn't know they had them available either.)

Thank you! I would have never thought to do it that way. Is it just me, or does the makergear website need some serious reorganizing? I mean there is a listing for hotends but the v4 hotend is listed under the m2s. There is a listing for nozzles but the v4 nozzle is listed under upgrades.
Chuckle! Well, they're engineers and makers, not web page maintainers. (Definitely understand the problem, i used to struggle to keep hubs' web page up to speed, when he constantly neglected to tell me that something had changed.)

I'd just try ordering the regular nozzle and add the SS requirement to the notes as well, unless you want to wait till it ships to find out if it worked. It is a leap of faith. :D

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:06 am

Jules wrote:

I'd just try ordering the regular nozzle and add the SS requirement to the notes as well, unless you want to wait till it ships to find out if it worked. It is a leap of faith. :D
I went ahead and ordered it. Worst case scenario I end up with another brass one which I will eventually need anyway. :D

insta

Post by insta » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:20 am

FYI, don't use the steel one unless you need it. Brass is a better material all around for printing.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org