15 Amp breaker tripping while printing

General discussion topics
lem

Re: 15 Amp breaker tripping while printing

Post by lem » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:53 pm

Yeah, if you're not totally comfortable with changing a breaker, best leave it to the pros.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:58 pm

an electrician can check this out pretty quick.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

johnross808

Post by johnross808 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:20 pm

I hear if you switch out the breaker fast enough, you wont even loose power! :lol:

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:31 am

To change out a circuit breaker without even checked the circuit amp draw or for loose connections or heat like I suggested is wasting money. And if the OP drops or flips a screwdriver into the main box and it goes across those main buss bars.... well I saw the fireworks when a couple of "real" electricians let loose of a metal fish tape inside a 3 phase panel. Good thing I was 20 feet away, its was nice to see someone else screw up.

I have changed a lot of CB's but experience counts.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

insta

Post by insta » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:22 am

wmgeorge wrote:To change out a circuit breaker without even checked the circuit amp draw or for loose connections or heat like I suggested is wasting money. And if the OP drops or flips a screwdriver into the main box and it goes across those main buss bars.... well I saw the fireworks when a couple of "real" electricians let loose of a metal fish tape inside a 3 phase panel. Good thing I was 20 feet away, its was nice to see someone else screw up.

I have changed a lot of CB's but experience counts.
A replacement 15A single-pole Square D breaker is $3.72 at Home Depot, it's not exactly a huge waste of money. The whole dying thing is a different angle though.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:59 am

insta wrote:..........The whole dying thing is a different angle though.
You do have a way with words! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:34 am

The proper way to change a breaker is to call the power company and have them temporarily cut power at the meter. Most power companies will come out and pull the meter wait the five minutes you need to replace the breaker and then put the meter back. Doing it this way is completely safe. The first step would be to call your power company and see what their procedures are. Most are very cooperative since faulty breakers can cause fires.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:47 am

lmao.....while that may be "correct" i would love to tell an electrician he had to call the power company before changing a breaker. he would look at me like i was nuts. i've done my share of electrical work over the years and never seen or heard of anyone doing that.... anywhere. i can say that if your unsure what to touch in an electrical panel and feel you need to have the power company pull the meter then you probably shouldnt be working in the panel at all and should probably call an electrician. not to discount magic's recommendation at all...it definitely is the safest way to go.

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:51 am

jimc wrote:lmao.....while that may be "correct" i would love to tell an electrician he had to call the power company before changing a breaker. he would look at me like i was nuts. i've done my share of electrical work over the years and never seen or heard of anyone doing that.... anywhere. i can say that if your unsure what to touch in an electrical panel and feel you need to have the power company pull the meter then you probably shouldnt be working in the panel at all and should probably call an electrician. not to discount magic's recommendation at all...it definitely is the safest way to go.
The difference between an expert and a beginner, is that an expert knows when he can break the rules.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:53 am

egggzactly!