M2 printing size... question?

General discussion topics
Pekish79

M2 printing size... question?

Post by Pekish79 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:44 am

What is driving the current maximum size 10x8? there is any limitation in the structure or anything like that

i wonder if it would be possible to have a 12x10 with the same exact system/machine i am not an engineer so i can't tell if the belt of the motor would have problem

I can live with 10x8 no problem i wonder if there is just some hard hardware cap that won't allow it to go slightly bigger

i have to say 12x10 would be perfect for architects :P as all we need is probably 10x8 but is hard to print 10x8 on a plate 10x8 if you know what i mean

honestly i would be happy with a real printing area 10x8 over a plate 12x10 so i can put my clip and still print maximum area plus the very edge of the place usually is most uneven then

Tim

Re: M2 printing size... question?

Post by Tim » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:34 am

I'm sure there are numerous factors and trade-offs. As the frame gets longer, it allows more bending in the middle, so you can end up with a warp along the X-axis. As the Y-axis rail gets longer, it adds more weight to the Z-stage, which puts more strain on the Z-stepper; also that part is cantilevered, so as you increase the weight of both the Z-stage and a larger bed, you put more torque on the Z-rails. But that's a weak argument, because people have been using Mic-6 tooling plate as a bed, which is way heavier than the borosilicate glass plate, so obviously the M2 can take a lot more weight pretty much effortlessly.

The rails themselves are already close to 10 x 12. And you can gain a wider print area (for the v4 extruder) by the simple trick of flipping over the mount plate (and printing the drive housing and the motor mount reversed right-to-left---this is what I did on my twin extruder experiment to get extra space on the X axis). Now if you can remove the corner brackets from the big spider bracket holding the heated bed, you should be able to fit at least a 9 x 11, and possibly a half-inch more in each direction, plate on top of that. The heater isn't going to reach the edges very well, but if that doesn't bother you, it should get you increased bed area with little effort.

But that's all off the top of my head, except for flipping the extruder around, which I've actually done. There may be more limitations that I haven't thought of.

Pekish79

Post by Pekish79 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:26 pm

I see what you mean and i may try something like that but as much as i love to customized stuff I think some of the stuff i make custom should be offered by them as alternative or optional

like a slightly larger bed to actually print the full 10x8 without ending right at the edge of the bed itself. It's just good sense if u can to have a border

I think there are several little things that could make this product better then already is (and is already great) but overall the most important and the most significant for people when picking a 3d printer is the bed size/printing size

I can modify it for myself but i think everybody would take advantage of this feature if it would implemented by default having a real space of 10x8 to print that exclude clip and that is not right at the very edge

just an idea for the future

kartcrg

Post by kartcrg » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:20 pm

Pekish79 wrote:I think there are several little things that could make this product better then already is (and is already great) but overall the most important and the most significant for people when picking a 3d printer is the bed size/printing size

I can modify it for myself but i think everybody would take advantage of this feature if it would implemented by default having a real space of 10x8 to print that exclude clip and that is not right at the very edge

just an idea for the future
I second this for what its worth. 12 x 10 bed would be great.