printer enclosure

General discussion topics
boep777

printer enclosure

Post by boep777 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi everybody, I am building an enclosure for M2 to deal with noise, smell and get less print warping - in that order. So I made an acrylic glass box 24''x24''x19'' with 92 mm fan on top and window exhaust (3''). No air intake until now - I am relying on doors which are not super tight.
While I am waiting for temperature sensors, subjectively it is about 40C inside with fan at ~25% power and with 90 degree bed.
smell reduced a lot, noise is mostly gone(especially high pitch one).
Now - to the questions:
if I will try to boost internal temperature - let say up 20C - will I cook the printer ?
what temperature printer will tolerate, I can make air supply to the control board but motors cooling is too complex
what temperature power supply will tolerate, I am tempted to move it in - it is the largest noise source now, and perhaps good warming element
all advises are welcome!
Attachments
printer.PNG

marvi

Re: printer enclosure

Post by marvi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:24 am

That is definitely an impressive enclosure. How does it hold up with regards to dust protection though? Does the acrylic seem to attract dust?

I wouldn't recommend including the power supply in the same enclosure. I'm new to this myself but judging from the number of vents in the unit cooling does seem to be important.

boep777

Post by boep777 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:52 pm

How does it hold up with regards to dust protection though? Does the acrylic seem to attract dust?
Hard to say - after few days of use - dust is not visible. I guess some anti-static may help as well - let see. What is really cool for home user - area around printer is clean from plastic debris.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:31 pm

Nicely done. (You must print a lot of ABS.) :D

boep777

Post by boep777 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:54 am

Ive moved printer power supply inside the enclosure. Made arduino based temperature monitor.
Some preliminary numbers: temperature at the bottom - 34C at the top 38C (room 21C, table at 90C, hot end 245C), enclosure fan half rpm.
imo 40C is OK temperature for electronics, not sure about mechanics.