Santa Just Visited

General discussion topics
Jules

Re: Santa Just Visited

Post by Jules » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:38 pm

pyronaught wrote:I really like all the changes that have been made since I bought my first M2 just one year ago. Seems like every mod I made comes stock now, even mods I was only thinking about making but never got around to it. The hot end redesign is especially nice, replacing a lot of printed plastic with metal parts, adding the wire junction box, using the bracket to insure the motor can not rotate if the nozzle knocks a part and just having less overall mass on the print head. The wiring is much cleaner now too, no more big loops of wire hanging off to the side or rubbing the filament tube. I see the hot plate has a strain relief on the power cable too, and that wobbly Z-knob was fixed. Even the printed parts seem higher resolution than they were before. Five stars! :)
Stop it! Stop it now! Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah! i can't hear you! :cry:

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:10 am

It will probably be a few months before I'm even ready to fire those things up. I've got a LOT of work left to do on my website. Just sticking a shoping cart on my website required a complete rebuild. If anyone here does web development, NEVER use Dot Net Nuke to build a website! Just horrible dead-end software there. WordPress, on the other hand, is pretty nice with tons of free plugins, lots of online support and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Just had to throw that out there-- Dot Net Nuke sucks. If I save one life, then it was worth it.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:57 am

pyronaught wrote:
jprochnow wrote: Oh, I have plenty of work for them to do. I wouldn't order that many without having them be able to pay their own way.
What kinds of things do you make?

cheers,
c

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:12 am

Vandal968 wrote:
pyronaught wrote:
jprochnow wrote: Oh, I have plenty of work for them to do. I wouldn't order that many without having them be able to pay their own way.

cheers,
c
hehe......things that go BOOM! :mrgreen:

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:13 am

Vandal968 wrote:
pyronaught wrote:

cheers,
c
The first batch of products are going to be tools for making fireworks. I've actually posted pictures of some of them on this forum already. Some of them can replace aluminum tooling costing five or six times as much. Some of the items are 100% 3D printed, while others are a combination of metal and printed parts. I can think up quite a few items in this area so just that alone will keep me busy for a while. I also want to do an RC Blimping hobby website, and there's several printed items that I've developed for that too.

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:28 am

I am SO jealous! I have been looking for a way to cost-justify getting another (or multiple) printers but so far, it is elusive. I hope to join the "multiple" club soon…

In the meantime, I guess I can live vicariously!

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:13 pm

Jules wrote:I really like all the changes that have been made since I bought my first M2 just one year ago. Seems like every mod I made comes stock now, even mods I was only thinking about making but never got around to it.
Long time reader infrequent poster.
This brings up a good question. What exactly is the current shipping model?
I ordered my machine in June 2012 received it in October 2012. (Best Day Ever)
I have tried to keep my machine basically stock (accept for the spool holder) to what is shipping and It hasn’t been too bad.
Upgrades:
Bearings on the drive belts.
24v v3B hot end
New Rambo board.
V4 HOT END.
The only real issue I have had is my z-axis stepper now runs insanely hot.
So is there anything I am missing?
I have read that the Z-axis may now home at the bottom of the travel? Not sure if it is standard or if it was talked about. What advantage does this gain?
I know about Vicki but took a pass even at the insta offering.
Not real excited about dual extruders. Although I really like Tim’s version.
I still have to get the metal mount for the extruder but since the ver 4 hot end moves the stress from the plastic mount to the aluminum mounting plate I might hold off until I need to order a replacement part.
Thanks for any input.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:54 am

All four of my new machines were the refurbished ones on clearance, so they arrived within a few days of ordering them. I don't know what shipping times for a new one would be. The first one I bought was a kit and I think it took about a month for that one to arrive. Shipping in general has always been super fast with MakerGear, and you even get candy in the box :)

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:05 am

your machine was originally the 12v model correct? 2012 I believe is back with the old z stepper that used to get hot. now that thing would get hot on 12v. now that you went to 24 its going to get super hot. you really need to swap that out. its gonna fail on you. I had to do that on my red machine. that old z stepper just isn't 24v compatible. the z homing to the bottom is just for a special level system still in beta so don't worry about that at the moment.

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:35 am

Thanks for the info. Ill have to get one on order.