General discussion topics
Jules

Re: Volunteer Editors needed

Post by Jules » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:12 am

Thanks Will! (Glad a couple of you experts had time to take a quickie!) :D

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:08 pm

OK, sent you a PM with suggested edits and extra image to clarify a detail.

That guide is pretty good info for getting started. I learned some things myself about the dual extruder, since I don't have any personal experience with it.You have really put some thought into it. Next, we need the Jules video series!
Attachments
layerviz.zip
This file has a pdf and .ai file showing what layer one should look like.
(442.17 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:33 pm

willnewton wrote:........ Next, we need the Jules video series!
Hah, hah, hah, hah, hah, hah......no! :lol:

(Tried that on another group and they had to be silent videos....every other word out of my mouth was "dammit". They got someone else to do them.) :lol:

Great job editing....I'm off to start incorporating some of the suggestions. You guys might want to hold off for a bit until you see the revisions...it's going to make it a lot easier to read.

Has anybody else found any technical inaccuracies anywhere? Just drop me a private message if you don't want to put it on the forum. :)

boep777

Post by boep777 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:38 pm

HI Jules, this is a very-very-very beginner's document which has my take on using M2.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv8t3mh1vdkis ... .docx?dl=0
It has the things I have stumbled upon and had to ask for.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:01 pm

boep777 wrote:HI Jules, this is a very-very-very beginner's document which has my take on using M2.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv8t3mh1vdkis ... .docx?dl=0
It has the things I have stumbled upon and had to ask for.
Very good list! - I think I had most of your issues covered, but still need to add a couple of reminders to the original that I had forgotten about. (Keeping a spare hotend and plate on hand is a very good idea!)

Hang on to your notes - once MakerGear publishes the final version in the Wiki (or whatever they decide to do with it) you can update it directly for information on things that I can't.....like adding a section on working with the LCD display, Vicki's or Octopi.

Thanks for taking the time to review it! :D

Vprints

Post by Vprints » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:10 pm

I'm happy to take a look / do some editing -- though it sounds like I should wait until the next version. :D
-Vprints

Changing my world, one print at a time

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:37 pm

Vprints wrote:I'm happy to take a look / do some editing -- though it sounds like I should wait until the next version. :D
I would! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:27 pm

Okay gang, last round of open editing and I'm outa here! :P :lol:

The version below has been cleaned up, duplications removed, rambling diatribes abbreviated, re-formatted to make it easier to follow, and a table of contents stuck in front.

At this point, if there's not a glaring technical inaccuracy, I'd really rather not have to make major revisions - much of it has to be done by hand due to limitations in my (extremely outdated) version of Word, but if it is really too hard to read, I'll take one more crack at it.

I'm also trying to limit the scope of it to a basic introduction to the more important 3D printing concepts and specifics for getting set up with the M2. If your favorite method of doing something didn't make it into the write-up, it doesn't mean it isn't something that beginners aren't going to eventually discover, just that there's enough in there with 25 pages that they might start to get overwhelmed.

So for things like using LCD displays, Auto-leveling, Reversed Z-home, new and improved bed support with different leveling method, (and all of the other modifications currently under development); those are not covered in this Beginner's Guide and a separate blurb would need to be added later. (That moving target we're trying to hit!) :?

With that in mind, take a last look, tell me if I've got something wrong or left something important out, and imagine yourself as a scrapbooking housewife with no 3D experience checking out the instructions for the first time. :lol:

(Update: Removed for the final version.)

And many thanks for the help! I know editing technical information is a huge pain in the heinie. :D

update: And Will, the one I posted here still has some 11 point text - I fixed it once and forgot to save it (apparently) the first time. So the final version will have that bumped to 12 point, and bit more cleanup on the margins on certain sections. Just see if it reads better generally now. (Gaaaaah! I hate editing.)
Last edited by Jules on Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:31 am

I finally had a chance to take a look at the revision tonight and it was worth the effort Jules. This is good work. I like a nicely laid out Table of Contents. 8-)
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:09 pm

Good deal, thanks Will. :D

Little more cleanup needed -Anybody else have a comment or concern before i hand it over to MakerGear? (Last call) :lol: