Volunteer Editors needed

General discussion topics
Jules

Volunteer Editors needed

Post by Jules » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:30 pm

I need a couple of volunteers to read through "The Book".

The official title of the book is "Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with the M2", and i need a couple of the experts (and maybe a beginner) to read through it (while keeping in mind that it's written for nervous newcomers, and I'm trying to get the basics across without overwhelming anyone) and see if there is anything that I've forgotten, or that is out of logical order.

To the experts - please don't choke when the instructions are so basic that you think any idiot would know that. Keep in mind, everyone brings different experience levels to the table, and clear instructions at the beginning make people think it's easy enough to handle.

(If at least one volunteer has experience with a dual that would be great - I haven't got as much written up on that. Didn't want to duplicate too much.)

Beginner volunteer(s), see if it's too much, not enough, or needs clarification anywhere.

All volunteers, keep in mind that we're trying to hit a moving target, and that things like leveling instructions and setting gaps are prone to change as the design of the machine changes. (Can't get too specific in some cases.)

Much of what is in it also shows up in the Getting Started Guide, but I've rearranged it and expanded on the important stuff to get it up front before we lose everyone's interest.

Oh, and it's currently 20 pages long. (So that's why I'm asking for volunteers - wouldn't do that to you without warning. :lol: )

It's still in Word format, when you've finished critiquing it, I'll send it to insta so he can do a final review, add his stuff and give it to MakerGear so they can change it all up again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I've done my worst, and my head is starting to spin.......Any brave takers out there? I need the folks who know more than I do to check it over. :P

Update: Okay, I've deleted the original here now - I'll post the final (when it's done) on another thread that doesn't deal with editing. Want to thank everyone who took a look at it! :)
Last edited by Jules on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boep777

Re: Volunteer Editors needed

Post by boep777 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:06 pm

Hi Jules, I think I can be qualified as a beginner with 3 months of experience ;). Editing is the great way to learn the stuff.

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:18 pm

Super! Give it a look and see if you can follow it! Much appreciated! :D

Snips

Post by Snips » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:09 pm

I'm a beginner with a degree in 3D and a week of 3D printing under my belt XD I'd love to give it a once over.

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:34 pm

Snips wrote:I'm a beginner with a degree in 3D and a week of 3D printing under my belt XD I'd love to give it a once over.
There's a degree in 3D? :shock: (Where was I when they were handing that out?) :lol:

Yes, please take a look. :D

Actually, anyone can download it and offer suggestions. (Not promising to incorporate all of them, it does have to stay pretty much about the machine, but there's no earthly reason why others can't do some other write-ups on handy stuff that you can use with the machine. It just makes the forum stronger, and everybody smarter.) :P

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:38 am

OMG this thing is so long. Looks fine to me. Is this going to be some official pack-in?

You might want to mention Repetier Host as an alternative host program, it's better maintained than PrintRun, I think. At least, it's what I used to use before S3D/Octoprint.

Skipping to the end, FFF files are only for S3D.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:08 am

jsc wrote:OMG this thing is so long. Looks fine to me. Is this going to be some official pack-in?

You might want to mention Repetier Host as an alternative host program, it's better maintained than PrintRun, I think. At least, it's what I used to use before S3D/Octoprint.

Skipping to the end, FFF files are only for S3D.
ROFL...yeah, it's 20 pages. (Wasn't kidding. :lol: ;) )

I dunno, they can use it for whatever they want. Change it to fit their needs, link to a PDF, or pack it in the boxes. (It's not official. Just thought it might be helpful to build an official one off of.)

If you know of any alternatives to what I've written up, feel free to add a blurb. (it's editable.) (I used PrintRun because that is what MakerGear described in their documentation, and I wanted to let people know that there was a free alternative with support, but not make it necessary for MG to have to re-write everything if they don't have time to mess with it.)

(And good catch on the FFF files - I've updated it in the original. :D )
Last edited by Jules on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Jules - thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed beginner's manual. I have not gone through all of it yet but it looks fantastic!!

Rick

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:01 pm

rpollack wrote:Jules - thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed beginner's manual. I have not gone through all of it yet but it looks fantastic!!

Rick
My pleasure entirely! :D

It still needs some polishing (found a couple of spots where i forgot to add the links - now fixed) and I'm not 100% sure what the in-house procedures are that you guys follow, so I was guessing in a couple of places, but once everyone gets done reviewing it for basic technical accuracy, you can take it and correct it. (It's just meant to be a bit of a time saver for the one you eventually put together before broad release.)

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:17 pm

I'm working my way through it too and will give you some feedback. Good stuff so far Jules!
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites