Carry/shipping case

General discussion topics
bobginpgh

Carry/shipping case

Post by bobginpgh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:35 pm

Has anyone built a carry case for the M2? I recall seeing something on the forum, but can't find it. I've packed it it with some styrofoam in a rubbebermaid tub to bring to the local Maker Faire, last fall when I ran out of time to build something better. I'd like to borrow a design to save time before I demo for my daughter's Girl Scout Troop. Thanks

Jules

Re: Carry/shipping case

Post by Jules » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:07 pm

You're going to laugh like a loon, but I had always thought that if I needed to move it, I would remove the spool holder and use one of these, with a couple of pieces of foam:

http://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Cube-Maxcol ... +ice+chest

The dimensions would work, (I think), and you wouldn't have to carry it - you could wheel it in. :lol:

bobginpgh

Post by bobginpgh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:19 pm

Actually not so funny - I need a cooler for the demo, but I'd rather not invest in (and more importantly store) another cooler. But, this is an interesting idea.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:28 pm

You'd definitely need to measure the interior before buying....maybe a trip to Academy. But I can't see paying $400+ for a Pelican case, which seems to be the alternative. :roll:

Nope.....scratch that. Those wheels are going to cut into the interior measurements. Shoot! :evil:

ryaneb85

Post by ryaneb85 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:47 pm

I've been scratching my head over the same thing lately. I'm moving back to Europe from Asia at the end of this month, and I don't fancy shipping the M2 back in an ocean container with the rest of my stuff. That's never going to end well.

I was trying to find something that would protect it enough so as I could check it in as excess baggage. I did look at pelican cases, but they are just too pricy for a one-off use. I have a couple already, annoyingly none the right size. I'm now contemplating just removing as much sticky-outy bits as possible, putting it in a cardboard box and trying to bring it in the cabin with me. It should be small enough. I hope.

Let me know if you come up with a more elegant solution!

insta

Post by insta » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:58 pm

Sell locally, buy locally? :)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:38 pm

Do you have the new packaging (as of Aug/Sept '15)? If so, just use that for shipping. (if it has compressible foam not styrofoam, it is the new packaging.)

Rick

ryaneb85

Post by ryaneb85 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:47 am

It was ordered late '15, so it probably came with the new packaging. However, that went in the trash the day it was opened! I'm usually fanatical when it comes to keeping original packaging for this very reason, but you have to be pretty ruthless when you live in a small condo!

Can you recommend a local M2 seller in the UK then insta? :lol:

insta

Post by insta » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:28 pm

Doesn't the UK have Craigslist? It's probably no more or less of a gamble than seeing if yours survives a 7000 mile journey. They're pretty hard to kill.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:17 pm

In my experience shipping vs. carrying via airline, is that the package is much more likely to survive the trip when shipped, mostly because it is never opened in transit.

As soon as the TSA opens it for inspection, shoves all the crap around, dumps it back in the box, and ruins all the good packing you did, your package is on it's way to being trashed by the next person that handles it.

Pack it well in a box and then pack that box into a box. Double boxing is going to be your best insurance.

Have it shipped as fast as you can afford to a friend or family in the UK. DHL has provided excellent overseas shipping to me from Asia.

Of course anything can happen once it leaves your hands, no matter what route you go.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites