Fixing up a used M2

General discussion topics
insta

Re: Fixing up a used M2

Post by insta » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:05 pm

I've actually been experimenting with no fans on the RAMBO or filament drive. This leaves only the part cooling fan and the power supply fan for noise, because the motors are so goddamned quiet with the dampers.

Until I installed the auto-levelling stuff that is, now it's constantly squealing with microsteps.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

sthone

Post by sthone » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:04 pm

I ditched the filament drive one along time ago (I didn't mind being the guinea pig on that one) but I was too scared to lose the the case one as I'm not sure how hot the boards get. The 24 volt fan I use now in the case is probably louder than the stock two. Let us know if there are any long time effects of not running the case one. :D

I did just start experimenting with the blower type fans for cooling and it's pretty quite, I though about sticking one of those in the case too.

sthone

Post by sthone » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Karl_Williams wrote:I think it's 2-in-1 for the round rods on the Z-Axis and greasing the X and Y linear rails and Z threaded rod with white lithium?
Curiosity got the best of me.... I just looked this up in the manual and it says "Clean oil from the X and Y linear rails and apply a fresh coat to each. A dot of oil in each of the long grooves on the X and Y rails is sufficient. Once applied, move that axis through its full travel multiple times to spread the oil.

Karl_Williams

Post by Karl_Williams » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:18 pm

Thanks for checking about the oil. The white lithium seems to gunk up a bit.

I did a longer print today and the M2 is working great.

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:45 pm

That's not what it used to say (about the oil). Wonder when that changed. It even came with a tiny tub of grease.

Karl_Williams

Post by Karl_Williams » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:22 am

I thought I had read about the white lithium somewhere so I found the docs that came with my first M2 printer and there is a section about lubrication. That was about 3 years ago.

Toyotany

Post by Toyotany » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:15 pm

Best pictures of a V4 mount . They are so much better then the ones on the MG PDFs. I am almost ready to do the upgrade. I have the parts. The V3 is working fine for me but I want to try PET.