Need suggestion on making a nice and big case

General discussion topics
Kulturfolger

Re: Need suggestion on making a nice and big case

Post by Kulturfolger » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:00 pm

Isnt FDM a prototyping for injection molding ? 100-2000 Parts are enough for a small series injection molding.

Lousy surface finish - Depends on the money. With a few upgrades to the Makergear those resonance marks disappear and walls get flat and cornes dont show backslash edges.
Painfully slow throughput - More printers in parallel.
Limited choice of materials / colors - Any color is possible. My supplier delivers RAL and Pantone colored filaments
Poor mechanical properties - Nylon 12
Small build volume - All a matter of budget.

Ingo
Feel free to correct my mistakes. English is not my native language.

ednisley

Re: Need suggestion on making a nice and big case

Post by ednisley » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:17 pm

Kulturfolger wrote:100-2000 Parts are enough for a small series injection molding.
IIRC correctly from previous discussions, the injection mold for a case that big would set you back tens of kilobucks: not to be done lightly.

The trouble with 3D printing isn't that you cannot produce a specific part with some desirable properties, but simultaneously achieving many properties is much more difficult than using different materials and processes. In other words: rather than continuously fighting half a dozen printers to get good yields of big cases in a difficult-to-print material that requires meticulous hand-finishing, assembling those cases from 3D printed fittings glued into laser- or waterjet-cut panels might be faster / easier / cheaper / better.