The first backup parts you'd print?

General discussion topics
jdlev

The first backup parts you'd print?

Post by jdlev » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:29 pm

Quick question on the M2 for those that use it a lot. What are the first parts you'd print of the M2 itself to have around as spares/backups in case something breaks?

willnewton

Re: The first backup parts you'd print?

Post by willnewton » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:57 pm

Maybe a filament drive. If you have a new M2, that's it.

If you have an old one, then print the latest extruder motor mount or order the new metal mount.

Not much else to worry about. Check thingiverse for tool holders and other mods.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:12 pm

Motor mount, filament drive and fan mount. (Just had a fan mount crack on me yesterday and had to reprint. Think i had it screwed in too tightly. :? )

When you print the replacement parts, use a high infill (over 60%) to make it nice and strong, and print them from PETG, ABS or ePC. You will have to drill or ream out the filament hole on the filament drive (by hand, not using a drill) with a long 2mm drill bit, which most of the guys buy from McMaster-Carr.

2mm bit 3083A122
long 48wire size bit 3161A63

Then do yourself a favor and change them out to the ones you printed - they will be stronger than the ones that come on the machine. :D

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:41 am

i print all the parts, put them in a plastic bag then stash them away somewhere. point is you never know so just print everything out that way your good and dont have to worry about it.