Raspberry Pi 3

General discussion topics
Vandal968

Re: Raspberry Pi 3

Post by Vandal968 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:45 pm

PcS wrote:I upgraded my SD card to a Samsung 16 gb Evo class 10 . Wow what a speed improvement across the whole spectrum !!! From rendering time-lapse to booting to streaming video and loading the Web page. Wow...just wow....
PcS, is this improvement on a Pi3 or a previous generation? I think that it may be my SD card that is to blame, because the lock-ups followed when I moved the SD and camera to a fresh Pi (same generation).

Is this the SD that you're using?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class-Ada ... B00IVPU7KE

cheers,
c

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:00 pm

Vandal968 wrote:the lock-ups followed when I moved the SD and camera to a fresh Pi
I rest my case .... [grin]

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:55 pm

Yes pi3 and yes that.is the card. :D

sthone

Post by sthone » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:12 pm

I'm a little late to the party here and a little confused... which build should I be trying to run at this point?

I've always just run Guy Sheffer's Octopi image (I like plug and play :) ) but that one doesn't work on the PI3 it seems it is only for the Pi2.

I need to get the Hive running all at once. :D

PcS

Post by PcS » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:32 pm

http://docstech.net/OctoPiMirror/nightly/ Grab the latest nightly . :D That is what I am running . It has been flawless.

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:48 am

Thanks :D seems to be working fine so far... the hive is a buzzing....

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:02 am

sthone wrote:Thanks :D seems to be working fine so far... the hive is a buzzing....
Awesome !!! Glad to hear it !!!

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:41 pm

ednisley wrote:
That's probably long enough to wear out the MicroSD card, because they were never intended for use as the storage device at the root of an OS filesystem. Based on what I've seen with Sony MicroSD cards, they can slow down, rather than return hard data errors:

http://softsolder.com/2015/07/10/sony-6 ... ure-redux/

A protracted MicroSD card delay might cause a Linux kernel panic / lockup and reading bad data / junk definitely causes problems. Overclocking the Pi introduces a whole 'nother level of timing sensitivity, too.

A timing failure will be intermittent and leave nary a trace, of course, but a fresh MicroSD card might bring the "failed" Pi back to life.
I ordered the recommended SD card two weeks ago, then moved and promptly lost it. Today, I opened a magic moving box that had (among other things) more SD cards. I ran scans on the old card in Windows, no issues detected, I reflashed it with Octoprint and installed on a Pi2. It took a LONG time to run the initial scripts (about 15 mins), even saw a kernal panic or two in there, so I tossed it (issues on 3 Pi's). I replaced with a different SD card, flashed the same version of Octoprint and it did the initial boot in less than a minute and runs great. Thanks for the insight Ed, you were dead-on.

cheers,
c

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:25 pm

Vandal968 wrote:so I tossed it (issues on 3 Pi's)
"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action ..."

Glad to help; wish none was needed!

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:04 am

So, my Octoprint server has started behaving badly again. Times out when I try to connect, if I cycle power, it will come up but will only stay available for an hour or so (it will complete prints of any length, you just can't get to it with the web interface). It's been almost exactly a year since the last SD swap, so I figure it's probably the same thing again, but I did reflash my router at almost the same time that this problem developed, so I'm not sure. I don't really remember how I set this up last time. Is there a quick and easy way to do this, like flash a new card and just copy a couple of configuration files?

BTW, I found this old thread by searching on "Enemy action" because I remembered Ed's great quote.

cheers,
c