Raspberry Pi 3

General discussion topics
ednisley

Re: Raspberry Pi 3

Post by ednisley » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Vandal968 wrote:Is there a quick and easy way to do this, like flash a new card
If the card still works fine, but has terrible slowdowns while writing, you can (probably) duplicate the entire card image, with all the configuration intact, to a new card and move on.

Worked for me, anyhow, with a good-quality MicroSD card:
https://softsolder.com/2017/03/23/raspb ... -slowdown/

That's been running fine for only a few days; I'm trying this to see if the card fails again the same way after giving its controller a chance to remap the failing blocks. If it's still bad, I have a disk copy of the image that I can slap onto a new card.

I'm sure there's a Windows utility that does much the same thing:
  • Pop defunct MicroSD card into USB adapter on desktop PC
  • Copy card image to disk file
  • Pop new MicroSD card into USB adapter
  • Copy disk file to new card
  • Success!
I've read about utilities with names along the lines of piclone that copy the MicroSD card image from a running Pi to another MicroSD card in a USB adapter plugged into the same Pi, but I haven't used them.

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks Ed, I'll try that first.

BTW, fantastic web site, I just spent an hour there. Best quote so far: "The interior of the dryer is filled with sharp edges and hatred, so expect some bloodshed"

It looks like we've got some hobby overlap. You might like this toolchanger I built for my my cnc mill. It's been cleaned up a bit since this was shot, metal covers over all the moving parts, new control panel etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xvxwUqdcWg

cheers,
c

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:05 pm

As a rule of thumb, I'd toss the defunct MicroSD card. It seemed like this one hadn't been used heavily for very long and deserved a second chance. It won't get a third, for sure.

Thanks for the good words on the blog; if i never see the inside of that dryer again, it'll be just about right.

Toolchanger: Looks like one of those projects that soaks up all the shop time for far too long. Now, get back to fixing thing around the house! [grin]

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:14 pm

It was not the SD card, it's a wifi issue. I moved the image to a new card, same problem. I removed the wifi card and plugged the pi directly into the switch and it's perfect. I think the router may have to go back to the previous firmware, but that's a problem for another day.

Thanks for the help.

cheers,
c

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Raspberrypi now has a RaspberryPi zero W version. The boards are $10 and are very small. They can be very hard to get though.
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers

abrasive

Post by abrasive » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:36 pm

Have you tried turning off power management on the Pi's wifi interface?

try:

sudo iw dev wlan0 get power_save

to see what state it's in. If it's "on," then use

sudo iw dev wlan0 set power_save off

to change it.

If that stabilizes your system, the most reliable way I can find to get it to persist is to put that command into /etc/rc.local. I have tried changes to /etc/network/interfaces (with an if-up line) without success. This is clunky but it works. :|

Hope this helps.
Dave