larger Nozzle diameter to prevent clogs?

General discussion topics
BigBadBry

larger Nozzle diameter to prevent clogs?

Post by BigBadBry » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:53 am

Not that I dont love Makergear ABS, its fantastic, but its also really expensive. i've tried eSun Black ABS, and also Hatchback, (both of which highly regarded and much cheaper) and get clogs in 50% of my builds. (running v3b hotend at 250).

Would going from a .35 stock nozzle to something a little larger make the printer less "temperamental" when it comes to clogs? How significant is the loss of accuracy if it does?

PcS

Re: larger Nozzle diameter to prevent clogs?

Post by PcS » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:22 pm

My advice would be to upgrade to the v4. It can safely run hotter. I know for a lot of folks the v3b was a workhorse and never gave them issues. I however always had heat issues and peek melt downs with mine. Since my switch I a couple years ago I have had two clogs that were easy to fix and not a single hot end failure. The V4 is as bullet proof as a it gets. You do not need a larger nozzle. Maybe try 255 and slow the print speed down and check filament tension also make sure your extruder fan is running at full speed. At lot of fff profiles I tried in the past had the speeds slowed to make the printer quieter . Try M108 S255 in terminal and see if the fan speeds up.

insta

Post by insta » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:27 pm

Oddly enough, I disagree there. The esun and Hatchbox *BLACK* ABS & HIPS are very cloggy on 0.35mm nozzles. They jam the hell out of my V4s, the only advantage is the V4 is easier to clean than the V3b.

I say run the MG ABS. The extra price per roll is still cheaper than failed prints and clearing jams, or upgrading nozzle hardware. If you want cheaper ABS, run esun natural ABS or HIPS. The natural HIPS glides like water through any nozzle I've pointed it at, with nearly the same properties as the ABS.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

BigBadBry

Post by BigBadBry » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:49 pm

huge thanks guys,

jhaupt

Post by jhaupt » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:23 pm

Twice now I've had a clog since upgrading to the v4 and was just thinking the same thing, that a .5mm nozzle might help.

The nature of the clog was odd:

After running ePC and PC-Plus for a while and switching to PLA for a while, I got a clog a month or so ago where what appeared to be a remnant of PC got pushed out with the PLA and god stuck in the nozzle. There was a visible, hard, whitish stringy filament fragment stuck in the nozzle and sticking out maybe 1.5mm. I assumed this was a problem with switching from PC to PLA on the same nozze, so I cleaned that nozzle, dedicated it to PLA henceforth, and bought some spares so I could dedicate a nozzle to each material I use.

Now I've been running one of the new nozzles with PC-Plus exclusively, and just two days ago the same exact thing happened (small stringy filament stuck in there). So the theory that it was a result of running multiple materials in one nozzle is shot. What I don't know if this is a problem with PC-Plus or not.

Has anyone else seen that? Maybe it's an in-homogeneity in the filament that rears it's head once every few rolls or so.

Whatever causes it, it looks like this stringy contamination might have passed through a .5mm nozzle without getting clogged. And even if not, there may be many pointy objects that will fit through a .5mm hole that won't fit through a .35mm hole.

~Justine

jhaupt

Post by jhaupt » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:36 pm

FYI, I did switch to .5mm exclusively a few weeks ago and haven't had any clogs yet running PETG, ePC, and PC-Plus. Prints are noticeably faster even with the same layer height due to the extrusion width increase, and it's nice having the option to do sparse infill with a .2mm layer height.

qdewolf

Post by qdewolf » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:15 pm

what changes did you make besides nozzle diameter to make it work also is it brass or the stainless?