New to 3D printing

General discussion topics
HDPS

New to 3D printing

Post by HDPS » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:46 am

Just registered and new to this Board, after a long search about 3D printers I decided in go with MakerGear M2 as frankly I have found just a few complaints about this brand compared with others.

My questions for you guys that already have it, I will appreciate any help.

- What extras should I order with the printer? I know I will need the Simplify3D software to run it but should I purchase extra tray or parts now?

- Also saw about upgrade to dual extruders later on but did not find this option to ad to the cart, is that a still DIY deal?

- Is the new M2 models have some sort of auto leveling for the tray? or stilla DIY deal?

Welcome any suggestions, thanks

Ed

Hugs

Re: New to 3D printing

Post by Hugs » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:52 pm

- Is the new M2 models have some sort of auto leveling for the tray? or stilla DIY deal?
It's still a DIY deal with a combination between software and the 4 set screws on the spider. If you haven't already seen it, watch the new "Quick Start App Tutorial" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rhUBXfaU44

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:12 pm

- What extras should I order with the printer? I know I will need the Simplify3D software to run it but should I purchase extra tray or parts now?
There's a list of stuff you'll want to have on hand on the first page of the Beginner's Guide in the How To section. As far as ordering from MakerGear, you'll want to pick up a spare hotend (V4 extruder) at the very minimum, maybe a spare glass plate as well. If you want to print your own spare parts, you can do that later, once you get comfortable with the machine.
Also saw about upgrade to dual extruders later on but did not find this option to ad to the cart, is that a still DIY deal?
I'm not sure if they are doing the pre-assembly on the duals yet or not, but they might be ready. Send them an email before you place your order. :D You can order the dual upgrade kit here:

http://www.makergear.com/products/m2-upgrades

insta

Post by insta » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:17 pm

The free software stack works fine, to be honest. I'm actually considering switching back to slic3r for the majority of my printing just because S3D is so bloody inconsistent with how it stores settings, and I keep ending up with dual extruders on my .5mm profile and fans full blast on ABS.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:28 pm

A complete extra hot end, extra barrel and 2-3 nozzles will get you through most of your noob days and first few clogs. I don't suspect you will have to switch a complete hot end off the bat, but the hot end parts are usually a common site for user error to occur and take the brunt of general wear and tear.

You don't NEED S3D, but man, it sure is nice when you are new and need a hand with some odd detail. It is so commonly used by most of us that you can get support on nearly every issue right here on the MG forum. Insta is right, it is not perfect, but it is very good and well supported. You will have a bit of a learning curve to overcome and having preset M2 profile to choose from will give you a head start, so you can focus on getting that first layer perfect.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:30 pm

insta wrote:The free software stack works fine, to be honest.
And the free software stack compiles on ARM processors, which means you can stick Slic3r and Pronterface on a Chromebook running Ubuntu or a Raspberry Pi, which is something you can't do with Simplify3D. I use the free software stack for demos of my printer, even though I still use Simplify3D at home.

HDPS

Post by HDPS » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:37 pm

Thanks for all responses, pulling the trigger on this purchase now.