3D Digitizing Services

General discussion topics
wmgeorge

3D Digitizing Services

Post by wmgeorge » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:05 pm

I know about Autodesk 123 Catch never used it but I am not sure if it can do Scaled 3D files? I am downloading it right now to try. I need to take files into Fusion 360 create STL files and print repaired and scaled copies. As anyone used 123 Catch
or is there a affordable online service you can send items to, and have digitized?
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

jsc

Re: 3D Digitizing Services

Post by jsc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:58 pm

You can always scale models in any program, including Fusion 360 and your slicer.

I've used 123D catch. It takes a lot of work to get a decent model out of it. You need to pay exquisite attention to your photography and lighting. Autodesk Memento may be better: https://memento.autodesk.com/about

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:24 am

I've got 123 Catch downloaded and reading up on now. Might get my good Canon SLR digital out and give it a try. I did locate some digitizing places near me, one is in Minneapolis and looks to be very upscale and knowledgeable, the issue is the cost of course.
Thanks for the tip on the other Autodesk program, the problem with all the new software from them lacks documentation. If you have simple question you need to watch a 5 minute video to get the answer.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:32 am

It depends if you plan on using this ever again, but I bought the standard version of Agisoft Photoscan and tested it out with a shitty camera and shitty lighting and even then I got a somewhat usable model. I upgraded to an entry level DSLR with a 50mm prime lens, good turntable, and light tent and my scans are pretty kickass. The one good thing about getting better photosets and photo quality is that I've found it decreases the processing load which cuts it from processing for several hours down to an hour or so. Photoscan is locally processed, not in the cloud like 123D catch. entry level program was about $180USD if I recall correctly

Equipment I'm using:
2012 imac 27" i7 3.4 quad core, 2gb vram 32gb ram with fusion drive
nikon d5300
50mm nikkor f1.8
lapworks 10" turntable
foldio 2 light box
generic tripod
nikon IR remote trigger

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:14 pm

I did check out the Agisoft Photoscan software and it looks interesting and I will give it a try. But I want to try 123 Catch first. Yes my digital camera would be prefect for this as I can use my new remote trigger... finally.
One question, what file formats can it Export? I use Fusion 360 and I know .obj and .stp work and I assume .igs but I have never tried.

But I also ran across this on Amazon, and wondering if anyone here has purchased and tried?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O2O ... _qh_dp_hza

Thanks for posting!!

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:38 pm

It can export in a bunch of 3d mesh file formats like STL OBJ 3DS PLY WRL DAE FBX DXF U3D and PDF. To my knowledge you cannot export from any 3d scanning program (at least not consumer or prosumer level ones) in Solid model formats like STEP and IGES. From what I understand that requires reverse engineering software that depending on which software you get, can recognize shapes from a scan and will translate a point cloud or mesh into a 3d solid model, or some require user intervention for the process.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:49 pm

PS dont buy the matter and form. Spend a few minutes looking for realistic reviews from people who stand to gain or lose nothing and you will find its hard to come across a positive review. I have the structure scanner for ipad and even that is really only good for scanning people. its not even that great for that application...

If you want to get a scanner that seems to have some good reviews I would look into the NextEngine ultra HD model or the "David-3d" brand scanners, and the einscan scanners look like they might have some merit although I haven't seen any reviews. To get a decent scanner you're gonna have to spend over a grand and likely into the several thousand dollar range. If you already have a good camera and photography understanding then agisoft will likely be your most economical bet.

Heres a link to the projects page on my website. Click on the scan projects and you'll see scans that came from agisoft. the engine was done with a relatively poor photoset, but the skull and car part were done with "good" photosets and in my opinion turned out quite well. As with anything, the better I get at taking photos and the more my equipment improves, as does the quality of the scans.
http://www.drive3d.ca/projects-2/

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:32 am

Well I more or less gave up on 123D Catch, I realize it's all in the lightning and quality of photo but they should at least be somewhat usable. I have emailed Agisoft for a trial key for the Standard Version but a little apprehensive as the company is located in Russia, home for a lot of Internet hacking.
Still finding good reviews on the Form & Matter 3D Scanner.

dklassen

Post by dklassen » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:17 am

I'm quite happy with the David SLS-2 setup. I bought the David 4 software, my own K132 projector, Industrial CCD, Lens, V-rail, printed the mounts for the projector and camera and bought a new laptop to run it all. My all in price was $2100 w/ the laptop. On the David forum there all the info you need to build your own system and save a bunch of money in the process. That is if you want an SLS type system.

http://forum.david-3d.com/viewtopic.php ... 223#p32223

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:29 am

Holy Shit dklassen.... I cannot believe the level of detail in your turtle scan and the one of that guys hand in the forum post you mentioned.. What are the limitations of the david scanners? size? micron detail level? If those scans are indicative of what I could expect from it after learning it I would be very interested in buying one. Do they have software for mac??