New M2 nozzle diameter?

General discussion topics
pyronaught

New M2 nozzle diameter?

Post by pyronaught » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:24 am

Are the nozzles shipped on the latest M2 V4 hot ends still .35? I can't see any markings on the nozzle itself to see what size it is, and the sample parts that came with the printer have a very fine resolution and look like they were printed with a smaller nozzle.

Also, can the V4 nozzle be replaced? It looks like the insulation wraps around it so not sure if that is something that can be unscrewed or not.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Jules

Re: New M2 nozzle diameter?

Post by Jules » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:32 am

Yes, and yes. MakerGear has a video on how to remove the V4 hotend and unscrew the nozzle for that kind now. (Just search MakerGear on Youtube.) :D

(You do have to be careful taking the hotend off first - the neck on those can break if you try to unscrew the nozzle while it's on the machine.)

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:42 am

pyronaught wrote:I can't see any markings on the nozzle itself to see what size it is
I ordered a replacement hot end last week or so and it is clearly marked:
hotend.jpg
Did you get the standard brass or did you request stainless steel?

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:57 am

Thanks. I found the .35 marking now... it was on the back side on the one face that was most difficult to get a look at.

The other thing that threw me off was that I'm printing the first job on this new printer and am using TPU, and with the .35 nozzle settings I was getting really thin lines with gaps between them. When configured as a .25 nozzle I could get it to look right, but I guess the correct way to fix that is to keep it at .35 and do a manual override on the width and scale it back and/or increase the extrusion multiplier.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:40 am

you will find that with tpu your multiplier will tend to be quite high. normall for every plastic i am around .96-.98 but with ninjaflex i am sitting at 113. the tension needs to be really cranked down as well because the drive gear slips on that stuff.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:27 am

jimc wrote:you will find that with tpu your multiplier will tend to be quite high. normall for every plastic i am around .96-.98 but with ninjaflex i am sitting at 113. the tension needs to be really cranked down as well because the drive gear slips on that stuff.
Seriously, 113? You're not missing a decimal place in there somewhere?

I'm making a drive wheel and was using the TPU to make a "tire" that slips onto the outside, but it doesn't seem to have the same traction that real rubber has so I have a feeling I'm going to have to abort using TPU and just glue a strip of actual rubber around the printed wheel hub. The TPU is flexible and stretchy, but that plastic like surface sheen is just too slippery so make a viable replacement for rubber.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:40 pm

Sorry, yes 1.13