Manufacturing Uses for 3D Printers

General discussion topics
Bluesoulx12

Manufacturing Uses for 3D Printers

Post by Bluesoulx12 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:40 am

Hey All,

I am working on an eventual kickstarter campaign and was investigating manufacturing options. I have developed 3D printed eye-wear frames, but I cannot figure out what kind of manufacturing options would be good for the campaign.

SLA I heard has some issues with with exposure to light and the last thing I want is these frames melting on peoples faces although the resolution I heard is fantastic and the light exposure can be fixed by a clear coat (but how long will it last?).

FDM does not have any post processing issues, but my M2 cannot detail like an SLA can. Is this fixed by high end ultra resolution FDM printers? (I will be outsourcing the manufacturing process if you couldn't guess :roll:) .

I don't know anything about SLS, but I think its pretty costly to make the frames from Industrial Grade nylon or imitated polypropylene from what I have toyed around with on 3D Hubs.

Trying to keep the manufacturing cost per unit lower than $15/unit preferably, but could stretch it based on quality.

Any input on manufacturing options for most likely short run/sub 500 unit run?

with warm regards,

Chris Nieves

insta

Re: Manufacturing Uses for 3D Printers

Post by insta » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:14 pm

This is definitely resin-casting territory. There are UV-stabilized resins, and the mold silicone is detailed enough to capture the layer lines of the original SLA parts (yes, really).

Lets talk ;)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org