Next steps for improving my prints?

General discussion topics
spmahoney78

Next steps for improving my prints?

Post by spmahoney78 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi everyone, I've got a 24v M2 with the V3b and upgraded metal motor mount. I'm at a crossroads in my 3D printing journey. The M2 is such a great machine that it hides a lot of my ignorance and mistakes but I can't help but also wonder if I should be thinking about some upgrades. For example I am ready to get the V4 hotend but concerned I'd be needing to invest twice if I get a single now and want a dual in the near future. Also I really want a good enclosure option to improve my ABS prints but I'd be frustrated to invest in an IKEA cabinet and have Makergear come out with something a month later. Last night I got upset with Repetier and bought simplify3d I can tell it will be night and day different in performance. So what are your thoughts for me? I'm listening for guidance. I mostly print from thingiverse and do a lot around drones.

Thanks,
Shawn

sthone

Re: Next steps for improving my prints?

Post by sthone » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:17 pm

The V4 is nice to have as it can run hotter than the V3B so you can run different kinds of filament.

As for upgrading to the duel later it might only come with one hot end as you would already have one. (is does say on the upgrade page "Upgrade from a single V3B or V4") so you might have to buy another V4 anyway if you were to upgrade right from the V3B and want 4's. It never hurts to have a spare hot end, I find it easier to just change the whole hotend when I'm say going from a .35 nozzle to a .25 nozzle. (but keep in mind once you go V4 you can not switch back to the V3B.)

Rick from Makergear has said they are working on an enclosure but no date yet when it will be ready for sale.

S3D is a good choice mainly because it's awesome :D and everyone here runs it and we can offer help a lot easier when we're all running the same software.

insta

Post by insta » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:34 pm

I heard (invented) a rumor that Rick is giving 30% off the enclosure as a pre-release if you call him at dinnertime and ask for it :mrgreen:
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

spmahoney78

Post by spmahoney78 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:43 pm

insta wrote:I heard (invented) a rumor that Rick is giving 30% off the enclosure as a pre-release if you call him at dinnertime and ask for it :mrgreen:

Haha I did Send an email to let him know that I would really like to beta test it.

I hadn't thought about the dual kit only coming with one head, since there's only one price I assume that it came with everything.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:46 pm

I took it step by step....V4 upgrade first, then the dual, but it you are correct, that just nets you a spare V4 hotend. (They do send two with the dual kit.) ;)

Wait. Yep, that's it....just wait a while. As soon as the new spiders (Rev.E) are available for upgrades, you will be able to bring the machine up to speed, and you won't have to re-configure your existing M2 for the V-4 nozzle first. (The most difficult bit of that conversion is putzing with the new Z-Endstop switch holder that is necessary for the conversion to V4 nozzle, without also converting to the new spider setup....it's scary. Kept thinking I was going to break the little LED connector on that switch. (I didn't, but I hate being that tense.)

The new spider setup has the Z-Stop switch at the bottom of the Z-axis, not the top, so there is no more setting the Z-Stop. Ever. (One heck of an upgrade! :D ) And the conversion to a dual from that setup is a lot easier as well. The new rev.E M2 is all V4, you just avoid that fiddly top-switch setup.

I'd go new spider (Rev.E) first, then the dual later if you want to add it. (BTW, the duals come with a metal motor mount. You will re-use your extruder motor from the existing M2, and that's about it.) :D

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:48 pm

insta wrote:I heard (invented) a rumor that Rick is giving 30% off the enclosure as a pre-release if you call him at dinnertime and ask for it :mrgreen:
But you forgot to post his phone number! (For shame!) :lol:

insta

Post by insta » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:00 pm

Jules wrote:
:shock:

I like staying on Rick's good side. They send me stuff!

Maybe I'll post your number instead ;)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:25 pm

insta wrote:
Jules wrote:
:shock:

I like staying on Rick's good side. They send me stuff!

Maybe I'll post your number instead ;)
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit@! :shock: :lol:
Last edited by Jules on Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spmahoney78

Post by spmahoney78 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:31 pm

Thank you everyone for the help. I was a little disappointed with the response I got from tech support simply because it isn't what I want to hear. Out of the long list of upgrades I'm interested in it seems only the dual V4 is available so il probably order that. I'll have to rely extensively on the resources here for DIY upgrades which is frustrating because some of the official products can be seen on new machines. I'm curious for your input on the best mods to make for the investment?

4 point spider? Possibly not available to purchase.
Black Z axis motor? Possibly not available to purchase.
Auto sensor leveling ?
New printed bed corners?
IKEA enclosure?
Smoothie board?

I'm also looking for an old metal desk to act as footing to bolt the printer to and reduce excess movement.

Thanks

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:47 pm

Metal extruder mount. Spider is a game changer. If you cannot buy a spider you could mod your own if you have those abilities. Or get a machine shop to do it. V4 nozzle . And thats it on my list. I would forget the electronics. Not worth the time and effort.