Length of a new spool? Determining amount of filament left

General discussion topics
Jules

Re: Length of a new spool? Determining amount of filament le

Post by Jules » Mon May 16, 2016 2:39 am

scampa123 wrote:Thanks Jules, I read your post..excellent as usual! Would another way be to pause the print and change filaments? I haven't tried it but I know you can pause prints...just wondering...
Only one problem with pausing it for a filament change.....and that's the glob that forms immediately when you pause the print, if you do not instantly drop the bed with the jog controls. Then you have to switch the filament out, get the exact amount of retraction as extrusion to get the filament flowing again, (because it's a relative thing, and the machine remembers how much you extruded when loading the new filament and compensates for it by retracting the same amount before it resumes), and then raise the bed again by the exact amount that you dropped it and resume printing. (Steve's got a whole write-up on how to correctly pause the machine in the How-To section....definitely worth a look.)

It's just a heck of a lot easier to chase the new filament in while it prints. ;)

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Mon May 16, 2016 3:39 am

scampa123 wrote:How do you equate the weight of the filament to the amount needed for the print...
I noticed S3D shows the length of filament needed for the print...does it also show the weight of the filament??
Thank you!
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (21.21 KiB) Viewed 10103 times

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Mon May 16, 2016 3:49 am

in simplify 3d after you select prepare to print in the top left corner it will tell you the length and weight of the plastic required.

When you get a new roll weigh it . Example 1150 grams

since there is 1000 grams of filament on a new roll you can figure the spindle weighs 150g.

If you prepare a print and it says it needs 200g of filament all you have to do is weigh the roll and subtract the 150g that is the weight if the spindle to see how much is left on the roll..

Example: the roll now only weighs 600g
you subtract 150g for the spindle and leaves you with 450g of filament left on the roll.

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:21 pm

Thanks everyone! I hadn't noticed the weight amount, only the length....

This should work...I just need to guesstimate the weight of the spoil...At least it gives me something to work from...This will obviously be for net-new rolls going forward!

Thank you!!!

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Mon May 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Scampa123 - If you post a pic of the roll I might be able to get you close on the weight of the spindle.

I might have a similar.

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Mon May 16, 2016 4:04 pm

Thanks Slipshine!

Here are two spools I'm currently using...You'll notice they are both white PLA...I started a separate spool because I was worried I'd run out of filament on a long print...but now I run the risk of having allot of partially used spools...
Slipshine wrote:Scampa123 - If you post a pic of the roll I might be able to get you close on the weight of the spindle.

I might have a similar.
Attachments
filaments.JPG
Filaments
spools.jpg
Spools

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Mon May 16, 2016 5:37 pm

The roll on the left has more than you think...

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Tue May 17, 2016 2:32 am

It closely resembles a Makerbot roll of abs I have.
I would put it at 330 grams

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:59 pm

Jules,

I just did your method to swap a spool...I was sitting here and I heard the end of the filament come off the spool so I quickly setup another...It seems to have worked!

...now if only I could stay up 24x7 for when this happens while I'm asleep!! ;-)

Jules wrote:That takes all the sport out of it! Think of the excitement you'd miss as you get to the last few loops with 10 minutes to go! :lol:

You can switch spools out while it's printing, very easily. If you see that it's getting too close to the end, switch the spool out with a fresh one and use the bit that's left on the spool for some other little tchotchke. (Got several spools with just about 3-6 feet of filament left on them.)

Technique here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2729

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue May 17, 2016 8:09 pm

Chuckle! Start 'em right before bed with a full spool. ;)