The MakerGear Website - input requested

General discussion topics
ZachC

Re: The MakerGear Website - input requested

Post by ZachC » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:35 pm

One thing I would highly recommend is to keep the website current with recent news and updates. Some of the page updates are from a year ago, and the copyright in the lower corner is dated 2014. That doesn't assure buyer confidence! If I were a new buyer and didn't see recently updated information, I might think the company is out of business without visiting these forums. As others have mentioned, it's hard to know what actually has been newly released.

tofu702

Post by tofu702 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:35 am

I'm a new M2 user and I've found most of the important information on this forum (special thanks to Jules)! That said, I don't think that users should have to come to the forum to get up and running and I suspect the early questions I had are pretty common. I'd strongly suggest building a good "documentation" and "getting started" sections on the new website. Here's a list of my thoughts for things that would useful to new users:
  • Substantially better overall documentation is required. If it wasn't for the forum, I don't know how I would have determined how to do anything. I would suggest docs should cover everything ranging from end to end printing (including basic use of Simplify3D), to things like clearing clogs, replacing parts, etc.
  • Some super user-friendly "getting started" directions (both videos and articles) around the most basic topics such as adjusting Z-Height, using adhesives such as hairspray to secure prints, leveling, adding tape to the bed, etc would be very valuable.
  • Documentation for the LCD screen.
  • Along the same lines. What documentation, parts and directions apply to the Rev E and what applies to earlier models. Personally this was the most confusing part of getting a new M2. I didn't know a new edition had just been released so I wasted a lot of effort looking for the Z-Adjustment bolt and so forth. Also, given how mechanically different these printers are, Makergear might want to consider different branding (ex: Makergear M2E) for each revision.
  • I find the "Gear" section of the website very confusing. For instance, there's a section called "Nozzles", but the nozzles for the newer printers are actually under the "Upgrades" section.
I guess my general advice in a nutshell is this: The M2 is a wonderful printer and has a great community behind it. However, it's quite confusing to get started with and I can't help but wonder if this dissuades some potential users.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:28 pm

Thank you for the feedback! We will be working on implementing many of these suggestions.

Rick

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:40 pm

MAKE IT....with MakerGear. ;)

Zeeflyboy

Post by Zeeflyboy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:38 pm

Selfishly, I think the upgrade side of things could do with being more obvious and better populated.

As an owner from early 2013 my old M2 has already had a few upgrades along the way but I do feel like it's very hard to find what upgrades are available on the current site for existing owners.

tallslenderguy

Post by tallslenderguy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi all,
I hope I am not to late to this conversation, but I only just joined the forum recently.

I'm a newbie to this forum and 3d printing. Reading the exchanges here between people who are experienced in 3d and the actual MakerGear company is refreshing and informative. I agree with so many of the points.

For me (and I think I would hazard to speak for a large segment of the potential 3d market), out of the box usability is a HUGE deal. From the perspective of experienced users/inventors, the few things one has to learn may seem minor. But to someone who does not have your background it can be a steep learning curve. I think the more you can level the curve, the more people you will to.

I'm not afraid to learn, I went back to school at mid life and learned a completely new subject (medicine). I've restored 4 historical houses, learning as I went. My point is, I don't think I am that different from many of the people who are interested in new and fascinating technology, I think I am representative of it. I'm really busy though. I have to find time to learn something new like 3d printing (or how to fly a freaking drone so I can use it to whale watch :lol: ). So, when I look at something like 3d printing, I want to be able to function as much as possible right from the start. The less I have to learn up front, the better. I'll end up learning stuff, but I want to have the choice of learning retrospectively. I want to be able to function in the mean time (love the idea of "beginner...advanced").

I remember when one was afraid to push the wrong button on a computer, now anyone and everyone can own one... they are intuitive and easy to use, they don't even come with instructions. The closer you can get to that, the more people will feel free to dive in and buy your machine.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:41 am

Not too late...

We are actively working on the content for the updated website...it will be a few more weeks before it starts to show up. First we'll be updating the Amazon content then we'll be updating the website.

The "out of the box experience" is where we have devoted considerable resources for most of this year (new manual, new video, new software, machine improvements, etc). We continue to work on ways to simplify and improve the experience. Input on how we are doing is appreciate. We've recently added an 11"x17" inch sheet that is the first thing you see when you open the box. The objective is to as clearly as possible explain the steps required to get started (from removing the printer from the box through the first prints).

Thanks,
Rick

tallslenderguy

Post by tallslenderguy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:01 am

Rick,
I hope I didn't come across as critical, my intent was to give real feedback from one newbies point of view. I'm in the process of trying to decide which printer to buy, and the process can be a little overwhelming to the uninitiated. I keep coming back to MakerGear. The thing that keeps me coming back is the obvious care and support your company provides is reflected in the positive reviews you get from M2 owners. It's awesome that you take the time and make the effort to ask the people using, or considering your product, what we think or want.

very cool, and thanks
Paul

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:16 pm

no offense was taken...appreciate the input. we've submitted the updated amazon content but it says that it will take 10-14 days for approval.

insta

Post by insta » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:49 pm

rpollack wrote:Not too late...

We are actively working on the content for the updated website...it will be a few more weeks before it starts to show up. First we'll be updating the Amazon content then we'll be updating the website.

The "out of the box experience" is where we have devoted considerable resources for most of this year (new manual, new video, new software, machine improvements, etc). We continue to work on ways to simplify and improve the experience. Input on how we are doing is appreciate. We've recently added an 11"x17" inch sheet that is the first thing you see when you open the box. The objective is to as clearly as possible explain the steps required to get started (from removing the printer from the box through the first prints).

Thanks,
Rick
You mean you've added an 11x17" obstacle written in an alien language :mrgreen:

You should partner with intservo and offer a $10-off coupon on some PLA, that's written in normal font midway through the instructions. I wonder if that'd cost anybody anything at all.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org