The MakerGear Website - input requested

General discussion topics
Jules

Re: The MakerGear Website - input requested

Post by Jules » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:04 pm

New Web Page is Live!

And it looks FAAAN-tastic!

Much easier to read, great pictures, great excitement, infinitely easier to find parts!
Excellent job guys! :D

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:14 am

Thank you Jules! It is a work in progress...

Rick

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:46 am

Jules wrote:New Web Page is Live!

Much easier to read, great pictures, great excitement, infinitely easier to find parts!

Yep, just saw that and it really looks pro. The link to the quick start app in the beginners guide you wrote needs to be updated now though, it still points to the old website and results in a page not found error.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:56 am

From the website:

"MakerGear was built from the ground up with no venture capital or external financial support of any kind. This means that instead of worrying about maximizing profits in order to please shareholders in Silicon Valley or on Wall Street, we can focus on developing great products, top-notch customer service, and user experience."

This is actually an important thing and often a difficult one to do. I worked at a lot of different startup companies early in my career and the exact point where all of them went from cool to suck is when vulture capitalists got involved or the company went public. From that moment on, all actions were focused on short term gain and appeasing a bunch of glorified gamblers who knew nothing about the company or the industry as a whole. All decisions were based on stock holder perception rather than what actually made sense. Everyone tends to think going public is the big benchmark for success, when really it's the first step down the road to hell.

Stay home grown as long as you can Rick, it really is the key to maintaining the great company you've built!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:03 am

pyronaught wrote:
Jules wrote:New Web Page is Live!

Yep, just saw that and it really looks pro. The link to the quick start app in the beginners guide you wrote needs to be updated now though, it still points to the old website and results in a page not found error.
Whoops! Thanks!

Mike Hunter

Post by Mike Hunter » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:25 pm

I just visited the new website. A fantastic job guys. So much easier to navigate and understand. A BIG THANKS for your efforts.

Mike H.
Continually learning and discovering.

CCRN

Post by CCRN » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:57 pm

The new website is night and day better than when I bought my M2 in June. Looks very professional and inviting to the customer.

Jerold

ryaneb85

Post by ryaneb85 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:01 am

FYI - A couple of the links in the top navigation bar (black background) don't appear to be redirecting to the correct page. Instead, they bring you back to the main/landing page. Maybe this is because there is no parent page and you have to select from the drop down on the other menu just below it, but if this is the case, then there is not reason for them to be there. In fact, as that black nav menu isn't locked when scrolling, I don't see the requirement for duplicate navigation bars. In my opinion it would be more logical to lock that nav bar when scrolling or get rid of all of the duplicates and just leave Login, Cart and Checkout.

Otherwise, looking good.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:25 pm

Thank you all for the feedback!

Rick

sprior

Post by sprior » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:33 pm

The forum has so many pinned topics that if you go to the page which lists recent activity viewforum.php?f=1 there is only room for one actual latest post at the bottom. This leaves no way to see the current hot topics on the forum and therefore makes it look less active than it is.