Max operating temperature?

General discussion topics
scampa123

Max operating temperature?

Post by scampa123 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:24 pm

Is there a listed max operating temperature for the M2 (dual setup) ?

I'm trying to determine if I'm running into a heat issue and want to measure it and compare to the max operating temp..

Thx!

insta

Re: Max operating temperature?

Post by insta » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:38 am

scampa123 wrote:Is there a listed max operating temperature for the M2 (dual setup) ?

I'm trying to determine if I'm running into a heat issue and want to measure it and compare to the max operating temp..

Thx!
The nozzles, or the ambient temperature of the machine?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:37 am

The machine. I'm trying to determine if the machine was overheating in my enclosure, possibly causing the long print to fail.

Thx!

insta

Post by insta » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:54 pm

scampa123 wrote:The machine. I'm trying to determine if the machine was overheating in my enclosure, possibly causing the long print to fail.

Thx!
You're being vague on details -- what failed? Did the filament jam? Did everything just stop moving? Did one thing stop moving? Did it smoke?

The electronics are rated higher than you'd think. RAMBo is very well made, and will tolerate ambient temps of around 60-80C (with a driver temp of up to about 120C). You'll shorten the lifespan of the few electrolytic caps from 8000-10000 hours down to maybe 2000 hours. The motors will take high temperatures for awhile, I think demagnetization of the rare earth magnets begins around 150C? You're more in danger of the bearings losing lubrication, assuming the currents are dialed in.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:09 pm

I had been trying to print some brackets in PETG at 100% infill. S3D said it would take 21hrs, but it is more like 36+ hrs.

I had 3 failed attempts where the print job just stopped as if the print was finished...but the print was not completed. Each failure was at different stages of completion.

I tried disconnecting from S3D to rule it out...S3D did not seem to be the problem since it stopped without being connected.
I tried reformatting my SD cards, different card and even reslicing with the latest version of S3D...

With the newly sliced file, I've left the enclosure open for this last print which seems to have completed successfully. My next theory is that maybe the enclosure was overheating the printer.

I'm going to run another print of the brackets with a thermometer in the closed-enclosure to see if I can determine just how hot is gets in there and if it fails again...The problem will likely be that it could fail overnight....but I think I'll try just to see...So that is why I was asking about the heat....There is no way for me to determine "why" the print job ended...There is no log file to review, so it is hard to debug...but at least I've been able to rule some things out....and I got a successful print of my brackets, which is good...