M2 Rev E machine?

General discussion topics
jcspball13

M2 Rev E machine?

Post by jcspball13 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:41 pm

I was going through setup again, so I was reading a Petg post

I notices it said you dd not have to calibrate with a Rev E machine?

Why not? What is different between rev e and rev d?

Thanks!

jimc

Re: M2 Rev E machine?

Post by jimc » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:45 pm

im not sure who or why that was said. you have to calibrate any 3dprinter. the reve machines have a different spider with 4 point leveling instead of the 3 point with the springs. it homes z to the bottom instead of the top.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:29 pm

I put that in there to update the write-up, and it's true, you don't have to perform those particular steps with a Rev.E machine.

The steps behind those particular calibrations are necessary with the older machines in order to assure the correct Z-gap size. The Rev. E machines are adjusted for Starting Height gap with the new QuickStart Application when you first set up the machine. (They do not require fine-tuning through Z-Offsets, which in any case no longer work the same way for the Rev.E machines, since it now homes at the bottom of the machine instead of the top, like jim said.) :D

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:08 am

Yes i didnt see the post so im not sure what the deatils were on the post the op referred to.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:16 am

You don't need to calibrate the machine. Just run the setup software to level the bed and set the z-offset...then start printing.

Rick

jcspball13

Post by jcspball13 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:51 pm

Awesome! So basically the Rev E is self leveling?

Sounds sweet; can a rev d be retrofitted?

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:08 pm

Revd can be retrofitted. The rev e is not self leveling. I guess the word calibrated has a different meaning to different people. No calibration means to me is you turn on the printer, it self adjusts everything and you just print. This is not the case. Nothing has changed really calibration wise. You still level the bed and set the z gap manually. The only difference is you have an app that you run which takes you step by step through the process. There are no probes, sensors or anything automated. This is just on the printer side. In the slicer side you still need to run calibration cubes and do test prints to get your process correct.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:26 pm

Self-leveling is a misnomer - it is really z-compensation where the z-axis moves continuously to compensate for the bed not being level and/or flat.

One the M2e, you run through the software, level the bed and set the z offset. Once they are set, the bed will stay level. We focused on providing a mechanically level and flat surface rather than having to use z-compensation.

Rick

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:01 pm

Jim - to a lot of people calibration means a much more intensive process than just leveling the bed and setting z....it involves tweaking axes and other alignment (and calibration) related stuff that people don't need to do and that we don't want them to try to do...stuff that we take care of when the machines are built.

kyeakel

Post by kyeakel » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:57 pm

How do I know what rev machine I have?

Kipp