Brittle Black PLA

General discussion topics
rpollack

Brittle Black PLA

Post by rpollack » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:25 am

We received a bad batch of black PLA and some of it was shipped. If anyone posts here about brittle filament, please have them contact MakerGear support directly.

Thank you,
Rick

theboz1419

Re: Brittle Black PLA

Post by theboz1419 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:38 am

I was one of the lucky ones to get a roll of it. Its pretty bad. Makergear replaced it, very quickly, and that, I say Thank you very much.
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Thu May 04, 2017 11:19 pm

Does anyone know what causes that? I had a bad batch of orange from Hatchbox a while back and it was the same thing-- filament easily snapped in half with minimal bending. Exposure to air made it even worse.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun May 07, 2017 2:48 am

pyro, on the user end of things, leaving it out and and allowing it to absorb moisture will cause it. thats about the only thing. on the mfg end, just a bad batch or formulation.

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Tue May 09, 2017 2:09 pm

What if we didn't get brittle PLA, but it had a nasty overlap / tangle about 3/4 of the way through the roll?

The other day, I heard a loud bang in the room with my M2, and when I went up I saw that the entire spool was yanked off of the holder and the filament had snapped due to overlapping filament on the spool.

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue May 09, 2017 2:50 pm

This comes up a lot ..... Overlaps are usually operator error and not the manufactures fault.

When you change filament you let go of the end of the filament and it wraps back on the roll but it crosses under one of the other strands. Next time you run that roll the roll can continue to print for awhile before that overlap tightens up and finally can go no further and it either just stops printing or like in your case pulls the roll off the holder.

Every time this comes up I'm obligated to post a LINK to this thread. :D

Also.... Watch this video on how to easily untangle the spool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE9LchCtKL4

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Thu May 11, 2017 1:31 pm

sthone wrote:This comes up a lot ..... Overlaps are usually operator error and not the manufactures fault.

When you change filament you let go of the end of the filament and it wraps back on the roll but it crosses under one of the other strands. Next time you run that roll the roll can continue to print for awhile before that overlap tightens up and finally can go no further and it either just stops printing or like in your case pulls the roll off the holder.

Every time this comes up I'm obligated to post a LINK to this thread. :D

Also.... Watch this video on how to easily untangle the spool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE9LchCtKL4
I appreciate that, but it aint "operator error" when the overlap was apparently near the end of the spool the entire time. Letting go of the filament wont snap it under about 6 strands at different layers on the spool.

Thanks though! I'll give the video a look :roll:

oh, and side note, I've been using filament clips I printed on thingiverse the entire time I've been printing (not even with the M2, just in general for about 5 years). So...yeah - first overlapping spool here.

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu May 11, 2017 3:01 pm

A cross over like that can happen the first time a new spool is open usually without anyone realizing it happen. That spool can print for many hours because the cross over can be loose enough and can work its away around and along the whole spool until it tightens up to where it can't. (that might even be toward the end.) Ok there's a slight chance it happen at the manufacture when they finish off that individual spool and before they taped the end to the spool but, the spools are wound in a single continues strand (as far as I know) so there no way you can have a cross over under like that in the middle of a spool during the manufacturing process.

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Either way, not a huge deal since I'm so far through the spool as is, but I have a hard time believing that there can be a tangle on a brand new spool at the top layer (that goes unnoticed somehow while printing) that can work its way down to near the end of the spool.

But what do I know? I don't put the filament on the spool, and as I'm almost through it anyway and black is my most stocked color it's more of an annoyance than anything.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu May 11, 2017 5:02 pm

I javent had a tangle make it the whole spool but i have had it go 1/2 spool before. It can happen. The tangle just keeps traveling. In any case its always important when handling a spool to never let that end of the filament go.